Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a problem with a kernel upgrade and/or rpm that is driving me nuts. Here is the history: 1. Installed Red Hat 8.0 on new computer with Soltek motherboard. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unsuccessful Kernel Upgrade

I have a problem with a kernel upgrade and/or rpm that is driving me nuts. Here is the history:

• 1. Installed Red Hat 8.0 on new computer with Soltek motherboard.

2. RH8 boots and runs, but on board network does not work. Missing drivers? Nvidia chips.

3. Downloaded upgraded kernel for RH8 from Nvidia web site.

4. Installed kernel upgrade using rpm. Appears successful.

5. Rebooted system, but grub boot loader shows 2.4.18-14 (the original), but does not show the new 2.4.28-27 kernel.

6. Tried to install again and got rpm error message that the package is already installed.

7. Ran rpm with the -U (upgrade) option and got the same error message.

8. Ran rpm with the -F (freshen) option without both error messages and change.

9. Ran rpm with the -e (erase) message and got the "package not installed" message again.

10. Ran command "grep -R 2.4.18 /* > grep-results.txt" and "2.4.18-14" was found is many files, but "2.4.18-27" was no where to be found.

I need help to find out why the kernel upgrade is not installed even though rpm says it is and correct the problem. Until I accomplish that, I am limited to running windows on my new box.

Anyone have any ideas?

Linux Newbie
    You have to edit menu.lst to add your new kernel.
    I havent upgraded a kernel using rpm before so I dont know if it is supposed to do it for you ?

Just find out where the new kernel is and edit your menu.lst.
    The menu.lst is usually found in the /boot/grub/ directory but I think Red Hat creates a symlink called grub.conf in /etc that points to menu.lst.

Just Joined!
    posted by craig_mcd
    You have to edit menu.lst to add your new kernel. I havent upgraded a kernel using rpm before so I dont know if it is supposed to do it for you ?
    Yes, rpm will add the required information to menu.lst.

Just find out where the new kernel is and edit your menu.lst.
    The menu.lst is usually found in the /boot/grub/ directory but I think Red Hat creates a symlink called grub.conf in /etc that points to menu.lst.
    Actually /boot/grub/menu.lst is a link to /boot/grub/grub.conf. Also, the problem is that the new kernel isn't. It is not on the computer anywhere. That is the problem!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I believe that it's supposed to update the GRUB config automatically.
    What command did you use to install it?

Just Joined!
    Dolda2000
    What command did you use to install it?
    The first time I used:
    • rpm -i NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0256.rh80up_2.4.18_27.athlon.rpm

The second time I simply double clicked on the icon in /boot/ named
    • NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0256.rh80up_2.4.18_27.athlon.rpm
    The third time I used:
    • rpm -U NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0256.rh80up_2.4.18_27.athlon.rpm

Linux Guru
    Oh... that's not an entire kernel. That's just the kernel driver modules for nVidia cards. So it no wonder that it didn't show up in GRUB's menu. It probably is installed.

Just Joined!
    posted by Dolda2000
    Oh... that's not an entire kernel. That's just the kernel driver modules for nVidia cards.
    Well, there are no nVidia "cards" in the computer, but the motherboard is full of nVidia chips. If it was successfully installed, then I should have access to eth0, sound-slot-0, and usb-interface, but I don't because they do not work.

Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    Are you sure that they don't require extra configuration afterwards? Have you checked for installation instructions?

Just Joined!
    Dolda2000
    Are you sure that they don't require extra configuration afterwards? Have you checked for installation instructions?
    Yes, and yes.

Linux Guru
    Well, check what files came with the package then. "rpm -ql NVIDIA_nforce"