Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, im attempting to hook my redhat box up to my DSL internet connection. the only expiriance i've had networking *nix machines was when i did a lan between three ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

neworking in linux

Well, im attempting to hook my redhat box up to my DSL internet connection. the only expiriance i've had networking *nix machines was when i did a lan between three SPARCstations running solaris. where should i start? like i said, im running redhat, the linux box is attached to a router along with this winXP computer, which is uplinked to the DSL.

thanks
    -jordan

Linux Guru
    Is it really a good idea to share the DSL line between two computers in that way? Do you have static IP addresses?

Just Joined!

well

well, its already split between two computers over WiFI (one of them almost never gets used) the DSL itself doesnt give us static IPs but each of the compters on the router gets its own static IP, i believe.
    Its probably not smart to split DSL, period, but i dont have much of a choice.

-Jordan

Linux Guru
    Does that mean that you're using DHCP to get your IP address?
    Anyway, have you tried to just use RedHat's networking setup program? It's called redhat-config-network in later versions.

Linux Engineer
    Put a cable in your linux box to your DSL-router and enable DHCP on you r linux box, which means that the router will give the linux box an ipadress, make sure that the router have DHCP enabled and are acting DHCP-server. Fast and easy!!

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    fast and easy unless dmesg | grep eth0 claims that "eth0 not ethernet" and i cant activate the connection i set up. It recognizes the hardware, which is an SMC ultra, but it doesnt seem to think that eth0 is an ethernet connection... any ideas?

-jordan

Linux Engineer
    Paste in the output from.

Code:
    cat /etc/sysconfig/network
    cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    Regards

Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    /etc/sysconfig/network:

NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    USERCTL=no
    PEERDNS=yes
    TYPE=Ethernet
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    ONBOOT=yes

sorry that took so long, i was away for a couple of days.
    -jordan

Linux Engineer
    The configuration seems normal, you have configure it as a dhcp client, are you sure that your dhcpserver gives out ipadress as it should?? Can you also paste in the last line of the command dmesg after you have restarted your network..

Another thing you could try is the set BOOTPROTO=static and set an IPADRESS,NETMASK,GATEWAY that you know nobody have on your LAN and try to ping another host to see if it is the dhcpclient that are giving you trouble..

Regads
    Regards

Andutt