Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mount DVD differently?

Hey all,
    I'm not real sure where to post this, so feel free to move it if needed.

A while back i had tarred up one of my backup drives and put it on a DVD. Today when i went to reset the data after wiping the drive clean and merging it to a bigger partition i ran into some odd trouble.

I mounted the drive as i would any other disk
    mount /media/cdrom0
    as root, and it mounted fine.

the df command showed that the disk was the correct size (about 4 gigs) but when i ls -l 'ed it showed that the tar file was only about 60 mb.

I thought... well maybe its just showing up wrong so i tried to untar it and got an unexpected eof error.

"Great " i thought.... "I burnt a coaster then deleted the data... nice work on not checking it before wiping the data dumbass..."

But before pitching the disk i booted into windows to see if it could read the disk. It did... and it read the tar file to be the correct size.... I copied it to a shared folder and booted back into linux. Debian now sees the correct size of the copied file... but still the file on the dvd reads 60 mb.

I was able to untarr the file that i copied from windows without a problem.

for reference:
    I'm using Debian's latest stable 2.4 kernel
    the dvd was burnt using k3b on 2x

I'm wondering if there are some options needed to mount a large capacity disk of data?

If anyone could shed some light, i'd be very happy

Linux Engineer
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm not sure about this, but some filesystem wont be able to detect 4.**Gb file size to too table limitation (ex: FAT32)... now what filetype is a cd? I dont know but that "could" be the issue
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps