Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

ReiserFS is faster and better from what I've read. If you have a clear choice, I would use ReiserFS.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Um, the backup folder is there, under mnt/.
    I actually would like to put here the fstab line i wrote for the partition:
    Code:
    /dev/hdc1 /mnt/backup ext3 defaults 0 0
    So there it is. I'm gonna try running the mount command again just in case. Wish me luck!!

Here's the new result i get after trying to mount several times with different cmds:
    Code:
    [root@00e0295c9f23 hd]# mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/backup/
    mount: /dev/hdc1 already mounted or /mnt/backup/ busy
    mount: according to mtab, /dev/hdc1 is mounted on /mnt/backup
    I guess i can try and use the disk already.

But i can't. It says: Konqueror error - Access denied to /mnt/backup/Tools. This is a folder i am trying to copy here to my new partition. HELP
    Ok, jackpot, i just chmod 777 /mnt/backup and magically it started working. I am crossing my fingers.

Interesting. A few things that might be going on: Did you mount the drive as root, but try to copy over the folder as a user? If so, then that might be the problem. I wouldn't chmod it to 777 for security reasons, instead just restart the computer so that the drive is mounted automatically with the fstab settings, which should allow users access to the drive. Maybe a line like this would work better:

Code:
     /dev/hdc1 /mnt/backup ext3 rw,user,auto 0 0
    ReiserFS is actually pretty stable, isn't it? (not arguing, just asking. sometimes my questions come across as arguing) Is ext3 that much more stable? and how about speed? I (think that I) know that Gentoo uses Reiser, so...
    ReiserFS is stable, but it is newer than ext technology so it might not be as mature. I have a ReiserFS partition and it seems to work just fine. My comment was only for the more paranoid among us, for everyone else (including myself) ReiserFS should be just fine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    To late man, i already chmod the drive. But isn't it true that i can chmod back again to have the same permissions as it did before?

All i need to do is to have another partition where i can read and write data normally, so i can play with the other partitions as i wish to and not worry about loosing information.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic
    ReiserFS is stable, but it is newer than ext technology so it might not be as mature. I have a ReiserFS partition and it seems to work just fine. My comment was only for the more paranoid among us, for everyone else (including myself) ReiserFS should be just fine.
    Ahhh... I see...

sheds: yeah, you can just chmod it back to what it was. Same way you did with 777, but instead just put in 755 or 750 or whatever permissions you want.

Ok thanks. Somehow it will work out.