Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a toshiba satellite and it came with one of those all purpose util. disks for installing windows and fixing any problems, so forth and so on. I removed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't kill the grub!

I have a toshiba satellite and it came with one of those all purpose util. disks for installing windows and fixing any problems, so forth and so on. I removed windows several months ago and installed suse 9.1 pro. I have decided to reinstall windows and suse in a dual boot. I restarted the laptop with the toshiba disk in the dvd-rom and there she goes. deleted the partitions like a pro and the format came and then the install. great, until i am prompted to remove disk and reboot. I found myself staring at a black screen with the word grub and a flashing curser in the upper left corner. Ahhhhhh! how do i get grub to come off the disk? I don't understand why it always survives the repartition and format. Please help.

so you currently only have windows installed?
    if yes, then
    with the windows cd "recovery console" you can use
    Code:
    fixmbr

Re: can't kill the grub!

Quote Originally Posted by linuxdork
    I don't understand why it always survives the repartition and format.
    Grub is hardcore like that. It knows that you don't really want to switch back to Windows, so it left itself there to await your return to Linux.

What Vergil said will work. You can also run 'fdisk /mbr' to accomplish the same.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy