Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all! I'm trying to install Windows XP on a partition of my hard disk, but the installer CD doesn't boot, it shows me just a blank screen. This is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Strange problem in installing Windows XP

Hi all!
    I'm trying to install Windows XP on a partition of my hard disk, but the installer CD doesn't boot, it shows me just a blank screen.
    This is the status of my hard disk.
    temp.jpg

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Check this thread for a probable solution to the un-bootable Windows install disk issue:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...ll-ubuntu.html

If you are not using sudo with your distribution, you can leave out the sudo part of the command, but you will need root permissions to run the command unless you run it from a liveCD.

You'll need to restore your Linux bootloader after installing Windows because it will overwrite your current bootloader. This is one of the reasons why it's better to install Windows before Linux whenever possible. You will also need to update certain other file configurations to reflect any changes in your partition numbering.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for the help.
    Can you explain me what this command does exactly?
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    I have to format the partition where is installed the boot loader? What it means clear the partition table?
    You say:
    Note that you'll lose everything on the disk when you run the above command, so you'll need to backup any important data before running it.
    I will have to reinstall Arch Linux after it?
    Last edited by Egidio; 09-09-2011 at 02:10 PM.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Egidio View Post
    Can you explain me what this command does exactly?

I have to format the partition where is installed the boot loader? What it means clear the partition table?
    You say:

I will have to reinstall Arch Linux after it?
    Oops, sorry... change the number in the command from 512 to 446 to clear only the MBR so that the partition table remains intact. That way you shouldn't lose your current Linux partition(s). Of course, it's always a good idea to have a backup in place anytime you are manipulating partitions so that you can restore from the backup in case anything bad should happen.
    oz

Just Joined!
    So I have to run the command
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1
    install Windows and the reinstall the Grub? How can I reinstall the Grub?
    Thanks for your help

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Egidio View Post
    install Windows and the reinstall the Grub? How can I reinstall the Grub?
    Thanks for your help
    That's correct on the command unless you don't use sudo. You can eliminate that part of the command if you don't, except that you will need root permissions unless you run the command from a liveCD.

You can restore GRUB with the SuperGRUB disk, or with most Linux install disks:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
    oz

Use Supergrub to restore Windows bootloader code to the MBR, install Windows then use Supergrub to restore grub to the MBR ...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    You can restore GRUB with the SuperGRUB disk, or with most Linux install disks:
    Can I do it with the Live CD of Ubuntu?

Yes you can do this with a live CD ... it's easier and less likely to result in problems using Supergrub but you can use a live CD.

use dd command to blank MBR code section as ozar indicated (block size must be 446 rather than 512 which wipes the partition table, or no block size which wipes the entire hard drive)
    install Windows using the Windows CD, check Window boots correctly
    restart the systems from a live CD and either chroot into your existing installation and re-install grub from your distro or install grub from the live CD directly - info here see reinstall grub2 section

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the answers, but it seems not working.
    I ran the command
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1
    but Windows installer keep not booting. The CD is in perfect status and boot great on another computer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast