Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I know that I can run "kill -STOP" and "kill -CONT" to halt and resume a process. But I can not find anyway to easily do this with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Halting and continuing a process

Hello,

I know that I can run "kill -STOP" and "kill -CONT" to halt and resume a process. But I can not find anyway to easily do this with a GUI. This seems like a very powerful feature, I am surprised it hasn't been implemented. I'm looking for something like "xkill -STOP" or "xkill -CONT"
    (I've been using halt and resume on Firefox while I'm running of my battery to save power)

Any suggestions? Thanks

Depending on what DE/WM you're using, you should be able to make a new keyboard shortcut to do exactly that.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Ah, you are right. I didn't think of that because for some reason I thought I needed to use sudo, but I don't because it is launched by my user. I'm using Openbox, so I wouldn't be difficult at all. Thanks!

But I'd need a different shortcut for each app. It's a shame there's nothing like xkill for this.

Maybe you could make it so that you have a run command opens on screen, with the command pre-loaded, just waiting for the process name or PID.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    not quite the same as point & click, but I guess it'll do.