Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know of any scripts or lists of command that could possibly test any part of a Linux system that can be tested then give some sort of easy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fully Testing a Linux System

Does anyone know of any scripts or lists of command that could possibly test any part of a Linux system that can be tested then give some sort of easy to understand report?

I know people that often complain that there is something wrong with their system but they cant seem to tell me what it is or when I'm looking at it I don't see anything wrong. I wan't something that can test anything and everything that can be tested from hardware issues to software issues, Graphics related stuff and security. Something that can at least show me where to start or highlight any underling problems that would other wise go undetected.

Perhaps there are some experts that could put something like this together. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S.
    I mainly use Ubuntu/Kubuntu systems.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

There is a large collection of diagnostic tools at Ultimate Boot CD - Overview mainly hardware oriented. You need to boot the CD, choose a tool, and run it.

I don't know of any software diagnostic toolset that will test everything related to software.

A very general-purpose approach to debugging is at Debugging rules!

My experience with helping other people, particularly neophytes, is that it can be an issue of a social approach as well as a technical approach.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Last edited by drl; 10-24-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

After booting anny live cd or if installed internally to usb drive or internal hardrive. You can do a hardware check at

Debian HCL; Debian GNU/Linux device driver check & report

It has saved my bacon a bunch for internal pci gear. I've used it on Puppy Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.....
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home