Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm in dire need of figuring how to alter the Kernels default 3Gb max per process to 3.5 or 4 Gb max. A department of the government came to our ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Memory Management And Kernel Tweaking in Red Hat

I'm in dire need of figuring how to alter the Kernels default 3Gb max per process to 3.5 or 4 Gb max. A department of the government came to our small little business and bought a nice little Server machine to do math... And terribly the win2k we loaded it with only supported 2Gb per process and we ran out of memory on the one and only mathematical algorithym we need. We have turned to several options and Red Hat is one, but we think we may need to go higher than 3Gb per process. If anyone can contact me about this... Via email is probably best it would be great. I will be checking the forum regularly as I feel this will be a godlike resource to add to my linux community experience (as well as programming).

Anyways I have seen alot of focus in the alteration of the SHMMAX, but its all in reference to perfecting Oracle Databasing.... Please if anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Jericho

Linux Guru
    One thing is for sure; SHMMAX has nothing to do with this. That specifies the maximum size of SysV IPC shared memory segments.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the memory limit per selector, but I do know that under Linux, you can allocate several VM selectors, so in that case you'll get 3Gb per selector. I've never done it myself, though, so I can't say that I know the API.
    I'll check this out more carefully and get back again.

Btw., if you want us to respond to you be email, shouldn't you present your email address?
    Even so, I don't think that that's a very good idea. This way everyone can benefit from the answers.

Just Joined!
    Sorry for the lack of my uh!!! provisions of resources... I was at work so I was a little tight.

Thanks for researching. I have found a way to get up to 3.5GB with a Patch. I would like to try to get a intensive memory test. I need to get something to pull maximum memory lock per application.

I have reveiwed several of the test suites, but i'm not clear as to wether or not they will do what I want. I need to see what my maximum is after the patch to VERIFY the exact number. The program this is being done for will take about a month and a half to fullfill 3Gb and 2 months to fullfill 3.5

Thanks again for the help!