Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know that there have been posts on here and elsewhere about how to auto mount removable drives, but a lot of them seem to be deprecated. I was wondering ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Automounting Removable Drives

I know that there have been posts on here and elsewhere about how to auto mount removable drives, but a lot of them seem to be deprecated. I was wondering what the best way to this would be. I'd also like to do it without gui intervention, and (if possible) without HAL, which I believe is deprecated. Thanks.

-Derek

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What Linux Distribution+Version are you using? HAL is still used in most current distributions.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Depends on file manager also. I have my motorcycle shop desktop setup with only Rox File Manager and did some tweaking to auto mount any external removable drive in /media without using hal.

Script: devmon IgnorantGuru's Blog

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ng_USB_devices
    If you are using any other file manager like pcmanfm, dolphin,nautilus or thunar in conjunction with rox. This will not work for you.

Edit: For KDE or Gnome (I run Fluxbox) this is from the Arch Linux wiki link I posted.

UDisks
    Simply install UDisks:
    pacman -S udisks
    and all your media should be auto mounted in GNOME and KDE SC 4.6. There is no need for any additional rules this way. As an extra bonus you can remove HAL if you were only using that for auto mounting purposes.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 10-27-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I am using Gentoo (everything is updated as of a day or two ago) with thunar as a file manager, but would like automounting to be independent of the file manager if at all possible. (I am currently using thunar and its volume manager because it's simple to set up.)

I am aware that HAL is available, but it is being phased out (to be replaced by dbus I believe?) and I would like to have a