Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have spent weeks testing all sorts of servers, protocols, you name it, trying to find the most reliable A/V streaming protocol. Everything seems to have it's limitations of course ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is there ANY reliable A/V IM/Streaming protocol? Especially audio!

I have spent weeks testing all sorts of servers, protocols, you name it, trying to find the most reliable A/V streaming protocol. Everything seems to have it's limitations of course but which is the most reliable even with those limitations?

I have tried;
    Asterisk and other PBX's which allow h.264 streaming. These work the best so far, all of them seem to be using h.264.

Openfire, jabberd with various A/V plugins. Good video, always out of sync audio.

Countless flash based applications, all of them have pretty good video but the audio is always crummy.

I have even tried an AIR based application which again, has pretty good video but crummy audio.

I tried all of these things on a variety of hardware, all windows based because the end users use windows so it's gotta do win.
    Hardware ranged from quad 3.0/4GB machines to duo-3.0 machines, to android cells and tablets. A few weeks ago, android wasn't able to access the front facing camera but we seem to have gotten past that.

So it seems there are plenty of 'almost' there applications but are there any which are there for sure?

What I am looking for is basically a way for two (or more) people to connect together by picking someone's avatar and going directly into an A/V connection, no text chatters etc.

I'm not quite sure what else to include at the moment but happy to post more if someone wants more info.

Just Joined!
    One thing I am finding is that video is easy to do well, it's the audio when it comes to anything other than SIP. In other words, SIP communications is perfect but then video is usually limited to codecs such as h.264 and others.

On the other hand, non SIP protocols work great for better video but the audio is usually crummy.

After messing with this for weeks on end, I have yet to figure out a good mix.

Openfire has the best of both but it's the clients that don't seem to work very well. I've tried spark, sparkweb, jitsi and all of these always have weird problems firing up the two way communications. All of these seem to work fine one way but two way is something we've yet to see in any usable way.

I guess more than anything, if I found a reliable client which does it all, maybe I'd have an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by mprog View Post

all windows based because the end users use windows so it's gotta do win.

What I am looking for is basically a way for two (or more) people to connect together by picking someone's avatar and going directly into an A/V connection, no text chatters etc.
    Logitech VidHD does all of this but you may not like it because:
    It is an external service.
    Requires you to use a logitech webcam.
    There are no mobile clients.

Other than that works very well with video and audio and IM, it has a nice interfase with avatars as you want it, you can even run it on linux with wine.

Se lets keep looking

Just Joined!
    >does all of this but you may not like it because:

Yup, it's pretty much exactly what I am in need of, but, hosted on our own network/servers.

Interesting reading, thanks.