Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Another vote for Gentoo . Although install time is probably the longest, you end up with a distribution compiled specifically for your CPU, not i386 or i686....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Another vote for Gentoo. Although install time is probably the longest, you end up with a distribution compiled specifically for your CPU, not i386 or i686.

Linux Newbie
    i use a amd duron 900mhz, but i am purchasing an amd athlon xp 2600mhz soon..... and i hear that debian is the best all round linux distro.. do you agree?

Just Joined!
    I've never tried Debian, but I have friends who vouch for it. I think I'll try it next time I need to set up a server. But for a desktop distro, I like gentoo. I love the bleeding edge, so I use the unstable package option - although I don't remember the last time my system was "unstable" per se.

Linux Newbie
    whats the bleeding edge?

Just Joined!
    Bleeding Edge = Beta / untested software.

For example, while KDE 3.1 was in beta, gentoo was using KDE 3.0 which was stable, but with the unstable option switched on, I was using 3.1.

Linux Newbie
    is this option automatically switched on or do you have to set it?, because i dont think i want it on, beta software normally has loads of stuff wrong with it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2