Find the answer to your Linux question:
is it posible to have my linux machine at home setup so that i could not down but play music files on my work machine. and if so how would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Playing Music in a nother building

is it posible to have my linux machine at home setup so that i could not down but play music files on my work machine. and if so how would i go about doing this
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd

Just Joined!
    If you leave your home computer on, then ssh into your box, using

ssh -l your_username xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where the x's are your home computer's IP address. Then just run xmms or whatever program remotely.

edit: oh yeah, you'll have to configure your box to allow ssh'ing, but I don't know how to do that (I know how to prevent it), so that's a question for somebody else.

You will need some Juke box software. I haven't looked too deep into it but I think Helix from Real Player will do the trick.

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds