Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I need to create a gpt partition starting on sector 34 or somehow shrink a gpt partition, leaving it's starting sector on 34. I'm at a loss on how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need to create gpt partition starting on sector 34

Hello. I need to create a gpt partition starting on sector 34 or somehow shrink a gpt partition, leaving it's starting sector on 34. I'm at a loss on how to do this. I tried using gdisk to recreate the partition, but it insists on placing the start sector on a multiple of 8 in which 34 is not. I tried using gparted to recreate the partition, but the only options I get there are to place the starting sector at 0 or 2048. I would try using gparted to resize the partition, but I have no idea what that is going to try to do. It's a btrfs filesystem that I already resized with the "btrfs filesystem resize" command. I used gdisk to backup the partition table, so I wouldn't mind trying to hex edit it, if someone knows how. Any ideas? Thanks.

Just Joined!
    After digging around more in gdisk's menu, I found an option to change the sector alignment for partitions. I set this to 1 and that did the trick.