Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there! I am a Post Graduate student doing my final year project in the field of memory forensics. I have been trying to extract digital evidence from the RAM ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    ssv
    Just Joined!

Question Guidance for Cyber Forensics project in Linux

Hi there!

I am a Post Graduate student doing my final year project in the field of memory forensics. I have been trying to extract digital evidence from the RAM dump of a Windows system and have been successful, so far.
    I would like to do something similar on the Linux platform. Is there any suggestion as to what relevant evidence could be collected from the volatile memory of a Linux system? Could anyone suggest anything interesting and relevant for a final year project?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Memory is easy to access in linux, as long as you are root, or have root sudo privileges. From the "mem" man page:
    Code:
    man mem

MEM(4)                     Linux Programmer’s Manual                    MEM(4)

NAME
           mem, kmem, port - system memory, kernel memory and system ports

DESCRIPTION
           mem  is a character device file that is an image of the main memory of the computer.  It may be used, for exam-
           ple, to examine (and even patch) the system.

Byte addresses in mem are interpreted as physical memory addresses.  References to nonexistent locations  cause
           errors to be returned.

Examining and patching is likely to lead to unexpected results when read-only or write-only bits are present.

It is typically created by:

mknod -m 660 /dev/mem c 1 1
                  chown root:kmem /dev/mem

The  file  kmem  is  the  same  as  mem,  except  that the kernel virtual memory rather than physical memory is
           accessed.

mknod -m 640 /dev/kmem c 1 2
                  chown root:kmem /dev/kmem

port is similar to mem, but the I/O ports are accessed.

mknod -m 660 /dev/port c 1 4
                  chown root:mem /dev/port

FILES
           /dev/mem
           /dev/kmem
           /dev/port

SEE ALSO
           chown(1), mknod(1), ioperm(2)

COLOPHON
           This page is part of release 3.22 of the Linux man-pages project.  A description of the project,  and  informa-
           tion about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/.

Linux                             1992-11-21                            MEM(4)
    Anyway, you access main memory via the device/file id /dev/mem.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

ssv
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb

Thanks for the reply, Rubberman. This gave me a starting point for further analysis.

Also, After some search in the internet, I found that various tools have been used for listing out information like running processes and network connections from a linux dump. So, I am thinking on those lines now...