Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since upgrading my home server from Windoze Server 2003 R2 x86 to Ubuntu Linux Server 10.04 LTS x64 I've noticed directories are allowed to go a lot deeper. Probably nothing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Deep directories

Since upgrading my home server from Windoze Server 2003 R2 x86 to Ubuntu Linux Server 10.04 LTS x64 I've noticed directories are allowed to go a lot deeper. Probably nothing to do with Samba which I'm accessing with but I'm able to navigate through deeper directories in my drives than my Windoze server would allow. Is this a kernel thing, file system thing or something else? I'm interested to know.

I used to mount all my data drives to a drive letter of their own at the remote end but under Ubuntu I just mount the home folder to the Windoze client. Windoze can't play with a directory too deep by creating files or folders but can still browse them. If I go directly to the Ubuntu machine I can go as deep a I like and still create files and folders. On both OS' it will still slow down when opening and working with the folders.

What I'm trying to ask really is what are the limitations to most OS' (probably just Windoze vs Unix)?

The difference is the maximum pathname length.

In windows, it is mostly 260 chars
    Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces
    Maximum Path Length Limitation
    In the Windows API (with some exceptions discussed in the following paragraphs), the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters.
    Linux has a limit of 4096 chars, defined here:
    Quote Originally Posted by /usr/src/kernels/<YOUR_KERNEL>/include/linux/limits.h
    #define PATH_MAX 4096 /* # chars in a path name including nul */
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.