Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Well, RedHat also pays a lot of professional developers to go on working on open source projects, so that they can get more money on support later, so if that's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Well, RedHat also pays a lot of professional developers to go on working on open source projects, so that they can get more money on support later, so if that's your stance, then you should rethink.

I agree on the graphics cards stuff, though. On the other hand, nVidia's drivers aren't part of distributions in general, so it's not really a problem. Although, I don't really like using them since they're non-free. But then again, what choice do I have? Running Mesa? Don't think so...

Just Joined!
    Non Free? Well, they aren't opensourced but they are free as in free beer.

You should be able to download them for any distro. I use them with Gentoo no problems.

WRT SuSE install, I found the small install CD from their site, which performs an ftp based install. No problem if you've got a good network connection.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, I iknow that they're gratis, but you know, I'd really like to see them GPL'd. I don't understand why they don't do that; I mean, it's not like they make money on drivers, right?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Open sourced would be great. But then we'd really know if they cheated on some 3D benchmarks?

Really though, you'd think it'd benefit them greatly - so many eyes finding bugs and making optimisations.

Linux Guru
    Precisely what I'm thinking as well, but apparently they aren't...
    I've heard as well that they've been cheating lately... that's really low, but what to do? I hope they'll just stop doing that.

I'm guessing that they must have a good reason not to GPL the drivers, but I'd really like to know what that reason is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2