Find the answer to your Linux question:
We have a 5-computer network at home, 2 Windows XP computers, a Windows 2000 computer, a Windows 98 computer, and my Slackware computer. The problem arises with the Windows 98 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

What to do?

We have a 5-computer network at home, 2 Windows XP computers, a Windows 2000 computer, a Windows 98 computer, and my Slackware computer. The problem arises with the Windows 98 computer. It's pretty badly infected with viruses, spyware, Windows 98, and so forth. Needless to say, it's hardly working. The Windows 98 computer belongs to my sister, who's been begging me to fix it, but it proved impossible with what she was working with. I asked my dad for permission to just install a Linux system on it, and he said, "That's probably best."

Now, first of all, I don't know whether or not I want to install a complete-distro on there or not. Her PC is pretty old. It's at 300 Mhz, 32 MB ram, and it's all-around pretty outdated. Now, I've heard of ways where you can install a minimal Debian system on a computer, and let it connect to other computers to run. I was wondering if that's what I should do with her computer.

Now, my computer is pretty outdated as well. I have a 700 Mhz, 256 Mb ram PC, and I'm running Slackware 9.1. Now, since the whole house is networked, I was thinking that I could just have her use my machine, but I don't know if it would be advisable for her to connect to my computer, as it might slow it down too much. I personally run Fluxbox, because it's a light WM, I like how it looks, and it makes my machine run pretty fast, but since my sister is used to Windows, I was thinking I would have her use KDE as it is much more Windows-like. How much would that eat up at my computer?

So here are my questions. What would you advise me to do? Should I install a light-version of Debian on her machine, and let her use mine through that, or should I install a regular Linux system on her machine, and let her use her own machine. If you suggest just installing a whole Linux system on her machine, which distro would you reccomend. Also, could someone please point me to a website where I could learn about how you install something like a light-version of Debian to allow people to run off of another machine? Even if I don't use that on her machine, I'd like to learn to satisfy my own curiosity.

Thanks for your time.

Linux Enthusiast
    I always thought Gnome looked more like Windows...
    If you're willing to wait awhile (read: at least a few months), Enlightenment DR17 should be far enough along to be usable. E17 looks like it should run slow (very pretty looking, will have many features) but it's fast enough to run on PDAs...

And you could always try DSL (Damn Small Linux).
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    I always thought Gnome looked more like Windows...
    If you're willing to wait awhile (read: at least a few months), Enlightenment DR17 should be far enough along to be usable. E17 looks like it should run slow (very pretty looking, will have many features) but it's fast enough to run on PDAs...

And you could always try DSL (Damn Small Linux).
    No matter how pretty E looks, it will run on minimal hardware using minimal resources. I have it running on my iBook (300MHz but 320M RAM) with all the eyecandy turned on and it rarely lags. It will run fine on your sister's box without eyecandy.

I agree with storm that DSL would be a good choice. Also, as you probably know, slack would run well on that box. If you want to go through the pain, Gentoo would run quickly on it, but it would be tough to install with that small amount of RAM.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    The 300MHz box could use more RAM, but the processor is fast enough for a GUI. I've got a 300MHz box with Slackware 10 on it and it runs fine, but I have 128 MB of RAM and I bumped the Swap up to 300MB. Just use lightweight applications. I run: a Fluxbox/Rox-filer combo and it is great. I can run Open Office but it is a bit slow, so I normally run Abiword or vim.