Find the answer to your Linux question:
...but that's not the case with what I'm up against right now. For some reason, I can no longer write to /home, not even as root. . /home is formatted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I thought root could do everything...

...but that's not the case with what I'm up against right now.

For some reason, I can no longer write to /home, not even as root. . /home is formatted with Reiserfs and is on its own partition. As regular user and as root I get "Read-only file system" when I try to write to it. I cannot even change ownership or permissions on anything in /home as root. I also tried firing up a live CRUX cd in this machine, mounting the partition and trying to change permissions and ownership from there. I still get the "Read-only" error. Why can I not change permissions on anything in this partition even as root?

I've looked on line for an answer but all I can find is people having this issue with vfat and ntfs but this is a Linux partition with Reiserfs and I'm out of ideas. Help is always appreciated.

Dapper
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

That a stumper there...
    How is it listed in fstab?
    And what are the permissions currently set at?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux User
    First I would check if the device got mounted with write permission.

On my computer I find the info here:
    Code:
    cat /proc/mounts
    fstab only contains the info how it is tried to be mounted ...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That's even better...
    I dunno how, but I forgot about cat /proc/mounts
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

If you've recently updated your kernel, try the older one and see if it helps.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Have you done a reiserfsck on it? I don't use reiser, but getting remounted as r/o with an ext fs is usually an indication that the fs metadata has gotten hosed (not news to any of you in this thread). I'm guessing it's the same with reiserfs. If it's still readable in r/o mode, a repair run should fix it. Just conjecturing, though.

I've been running ReiserFS for years and never encountered anything remotely like it.

I have to assume you have been running ReiserFS on that partition for some time, and that this problem occurred all of a sudden?

What bothers me the most about your description of the problem, is that you can't change anything from a LiveCD as well. That more or less rules out an fstab problem.
    Because a couple of things may have been leading up to this problem. A kernel update that doesn't ship with ReiserFS support*)
    A modprobe reiserfs that failed
    But I suspect it could be a lot worst than that. You could try to boot a Slackware 12.2 installation DVD just so to be absolutely sure ReiserFS is supported on the media**). But I'd plan for the worst and make a backup now that you're still able to read the partition. Then run fsck.reiserfs on the unmounted partition.

The one time I've ever had to resort to that, fsck.reiserfs found bad blocks (which it refused to mark) and it told me to buy a new disk before it's too late.

So to recapitulate... I cannot rule out that the problem is with ReiserFS support being dropped at kernel level in your distro, I don't know if Crux LiveCD supports ReiserFS and so the problem may be in software. It may even just be a modprobe reiserfs that's either missing or failing. But I can't rule out a hardware problem as well. Backup, just in case.

*) I'm running CentOS/Fedora on a couple of machines, but have my external HD formatted ReiserFS. Loads of trouble
    **) I live in the past this one is the only one I'm absolutely sure supports ReiserFS. Others obviously support it as well, but I'd have to guess.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    Is it not just full of data so nothing can be added?

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    ...but that's not the case with what I'm up against right now.

For some reason, I can no longer write to /home, not even as root. . /home is formatted with Reiserfs and is on its own partition. As regular user and as root I get "Read-only file system" when I try to write to it. I cannot even change ownership or permissions on anything in /home as root. I also tried firing up a live CRUX cd in this machine, mounting the partition and trying to change permissions and ownership from there. I still get the "Read-only" error. Why can I not change permissions on anything in this partition even as root?

I've looked on line for an answer but all I can find is people having this issue with vfat and ntfs but this is a Linux partition with Reiserfs and I'm out of ideas. Help is always appreciated.

Dapper

This is an old computer with CRUX 2.7, mainly for Internet and word processing so I'm constantly having to remove files to make room for new ones. That has never been a problem as long as I've remained under 95% full. So, I did fsck after removing several files and I'm back in business. There were some errors so I'm not sure which was the cure but I'm happy to be able to write to this partition now. Thanks to all of you for pitching in!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here