Find the answer to your Linux question:
For all I know, perhaps it's a patent / copyright issue. I started out using Windows. Now, I move back and forth from Windows (work) to Linux (Home). What I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows / Linux - Open / Save File Functionality

For all I know, perhaps it's a patent / copyright issue.

I started out using Windows. Now, I move back and forth
    from Windows (work) to Linux (Home). What I've noticed is
    that there doesn't seem to be any file management capabilities from the Open / Save options within programs.

In Windows, it's possible to copy / delete / run / edit files from within the Open / Save Window saving a trip to Windows Explorer (in Linux: Nautilus / Dolphin or other comparable File Management apps).

I miss that Windows functionality and wonder if it's at all available in Linux, if so how, what application, script, or command helps meet that purpose or is it just unavailable?

That is an interesting question. I work on Win XP at work but never use that feature. I have always made it a habit to use Explorer to find the file and let it open in the appropriate application. In looking into your question, I did some Linux distro hopping to see what I could find. The short answer is that it depends on your Linux distro and the program you are running. Some allow file management functionality from the "File>Open" menu and some don't. By and large, most don't. Testing using Libre Office or Open Office and Gedit or Kwrite on a variety of distros, here is what I found:
    Ubuntu - no file management on either
    Fedora 16 w/Gnome 3.2 - no file management
    Mint LMDE - also no
    SuSE 12.1 KDE - Yes on both
    BSD - No on Open Office and yes on Gedit

Looking a little closer at KDE, since that seems to be the desktop that has some promise, I tried a few other programs:
    Firefox - no
    Chromium - yes
    Gimp - no

Not sure if that is helpful, but there-you-have-it. It looks like KDE may be your way to go, although you won't have that functionality in all programs. I can't say I have any good ideas to help meet that purpose other than my technique, which is to just keep my file manager running all the time and alt>tab to it when I need to navigate to a file.

Good luck and have fun.

Just Joined!
    Thanx, that helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close