Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've noticed some strange files on my machine (slackware 12, ext3 file system) and I was wondering if anybody knows how and why are they created. Their names start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Strange st* files

Hello,
    I've noticed some strange files on my machine (slackware 12, ext3 file system) and I was wondering if anybody knows how and why are they created. Their names start with st followed by 6 random characters (stZ5T2gV, stls2MsJ, stoSsTlI, etc.). Their size is 0, owned by root.root and their permissions are -rw-------. Most of them are in /usr/local/lib/ but they are also in: /usr/lib/httpd/modules/, /usr/lib/, /usr/local/bin/, /usr/local/lib/GConf/2/, /usr/local/lib/orbit-2.0/, /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-0.10/ They were not created all at once, their dates are from 2008 till a few days ago.
    Is there a way to monitor my file system to see what process is creating them? I tried lsof but none of them are open.
    Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I found out that the files are created when I'm running checkinstall. When I'm compiling a package I usually run configure, make, and checkinstall to create a Slackware package. Whenever I run checkinstall it creates these files in the directories where the files to be installed are supposed to go and for some reason it doesn't remove them anymore.
    Last edited by miaig; 03-03-2012 at 08:48 PM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You might try using the inotify tools to find out this information.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!