Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I think I am going to purchase the raspberry pi when it is in stock. But I have one concern... I noticed that the way you can use the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless connection Raspberry pi?

So I think I am going to purchase the raspberry pi when it is in stock. But I have one concern... I noticed that the way you can use the internet is through ethernet... So does that mean that I can't do wifi with it? Also can I plug it into the ethernet and still have wifi working in the rest of my house? Thanks!

To my knowledge, the only built-in network connection on the Pi is ethernet.
    You may be able to work something by connection a wireless adapter or a dongle, but it's such a new product that there isn't any documentation on it as of yet.
    Not only that, but it's such a small device that you may have to attach it via a hub.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    You will be able to use a usb wifi card. I believe you will be able to run a recent kernel so any supported card in a recent kernel should work.
    The B model is supposed to have 2 usb ports so if you use a small extension cable (which may come with the card) you can have 1 port for wireless and another port for something else (you will need to use a usb hub if you want more usb devices).

As for using ethernet and still having wireless in the rest of the house, it should work just fine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I had forgotten that Model B had 2 USB ports, so that's a good point.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by R00KIE View Post
    You will be able to use a usb wifi card. I believe you will be able to run a recent kernel so any supported card in a recent kernel should work.
    The B model is supposed to have 2 usb ports so if you use a small extension cable (which may come with the card) you can have 1 port for wireless and another port for something else (you will need to use a usb hub if you want more usb devices).

As for using ethernet and still having wireless in the rest of the house, it should work just fine.
    Wait. I don't understand... How would I have wifi if I have to unplug the cable from the modem and put it into the computer?

Just Joined!
    Are these the wifi dongles?

Raspberry Pi Wi-Fi Adapters

Quote Originally Posted by PYTH0N View Post
    Are these the wifi dongles?

Raspberry Pi Wi-Fi Adapters
    I wasn't aware that they had any ready yet...
    It looks like those would be the ones, though.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by PYTH0N View Post
    Wait. I don't understand... How would I have wifi if I have to unplug the cable from the modem and put it into the computer?
    We are under the assumption that you are using a router. Therefore, you would be able to physically connect the Pi to a router.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    We are under the assumption that you are using a router. Therefore, you would be able to physically connect the Pi to a router.
    Exactly what I thought
    However as long as the card+driver used supports ap mode it should be possible to turn the raspberry pi into a router (probably better and more secure than home modem-router combos).

On the readily available cards for raspberry, I would search for better prices and check which chip is inside, some may work better than others.

Just Joined!
    Ok. Thanks a lot guys!