Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. This is one of the things i dislike about linux, or maybe i am just to new on it that it dominates me instead of being the other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Killing apps

Hi all.

This is one of the things i dislike about linux, or maybe i am just to new on it that it dominates me instead of being the other way around. Any way, here's the thing: i want to kill xmms and any app that gets stalled, but how do i do it if all the names are so insignificant to what they represent and i can't find the name and PID to kill the damn thing? I know how to use top, but i can't find for instance xmms process, or konqueror or whatever name of the app i am running? How can you tell which is which?

BTW, isn't linux not supposed to freeze up on me?

This is one of those days when you feel so useless. It is just kicking my sorry behind. Apps stalling, apps getting installed following incomplete instructions so that you actually miss out a few very important things, misterious behavior. I'm sorry, i am just letting it all out.

Just Joined!
    see if you have Xkill on your distro usualy under tools
    thats what its for

Linux Engineer
    type ps aux in a terminal and note the pid of the app you want to kill.

Then type kill pid to shut the offending beast down.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Thanks guys, and don't mind like the first post, i was blowing off some steam, i guess you understand. And by the way, that xkill app rocks man. I just hope i get to try with a really stalled app. Cool man!! And thanks Chris H, i actually went ahead and typed ps aux, and actually saw xmms running, really cool man!!

Linux Enthusiast
    linux itself almost never stalls... but individual apps do, that's when you kill and restart them. The point is, as long as the kernel doesn't freeze, it doesn't matter, as the other stuff doesn't take to long to kill/restart.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050