Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Originally Posted by Randicus Slackware is more bleeding-edge than I thought it was. LOL! Only because I'm using the current branch. If I had to describe it, I'd say that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    Slackware is more bleeding-edge than I thought it was.
    LOL! Only because I'm using the current branch. If I had to describe it, I'd say that it's somewhere around Debian Testing when it comes to Bleeding edge.
    The main repos, though, pretty much hang close to Debian Stable for alot of the software.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Great minds think alike.
    Debian and Slackware that is. Not me.

If you are happy with Ubuntu, but don't like the new interface, try lubuntu or xubuntu.
    Sidekick likes this.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Another 'what's the 'best'TM Distribution thread.'
    At least, it turns into that very quickly. There is just no usefull addition in mentioning distro x, y or z...

If it comes to choosing a distro, just TRY them. Ask yourself if you feel comfortable with the distro you have in ways of usability and security (although security is more than ok for all the major distro's and their derivatives.)

It shouldn't be too difficult to make a list with demands you have for a distro. Then create a longlist and after that a shortlist with distro's you want to test against your demands.
    I would be interested on your thoughts on this choosing method and see some actual results of such a choosing method, with reasoning why a certain distro makes it to the longlist, shortlist and final choice.

IMO just yelling distro A.... is not useful so please stop than nonsense....

Changing the desktop environment in Ubuntu is super easy. You can try them all and pick a favorite. Then at login, simply choose a Session (Unity, Gnome, Xfce, LXDE, Openbox, whatever) and give it a test drive. Or try one of the Ubuntu spins made especially for the different desktops: Xubuntu (Xfce desktop), Kubuntu (KDE desktop), or Lubuntu (LXDE).

For a good "layman's description" of the different desktops you can look here:

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=54945&start=0#p314893

(not able to post links yet - just put your "www dot" in front of the above.

Just Joined!
    Well thanks for everyones input so far. I'm just going to try each distro one by one for a while untill I find one. I starting with Ultimate Edition 3.2 as I've been curious for a while now to see what thats like. If thats a no o I might go on to Fedora or Debian Testing.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reginaldperrin View Post
    If you are otherwise happy with Ubuntu, but dislike their Unity default interface, you could stick with that and install the Cinnamon desktop. It's very similar to the 'old' gnome2-based Ubuntu Classic, but much slicker.
    Cinnamon
    I love it!
    Hope this helps.
    Thought I'd install Cinnamon like you suggested (as I did like it in Linux mint), but when I logged in, I got nothing. All I could see was my desktop background and the icons on the desktop. No GUI.
    This is on Ultimate Edition 3.2 (Ubuntu 11.10 (on Steroids)).

Any Ideas?

Just Joined!
    Well I've kinda worked out a solution, if i run;
    Code:
    cinnamon --replace
    It will start the cinnamon desktop. I'd like to find a more permanent solution, but I think thats another thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2