Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I was woundering if you guys could help me out with some questions that i have on linux cause i am thinking about getting it. Ok im 16 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux, which one is best?

Hi
    I was woundering if you guys could help me out with some questions that i have on linux cause i am thinking about getting it. Ok im 16 and i am pretty good at computers i can make a computer and crap and i know that linux is not for some newbie kids, and that they should use windows. Well my question is that i love to play games and i was woundering if linux would be better for playing games instead of windows? I thought that it would be could its a OS that is good for running servers, and that it would probably be a fast OS and easy to use. Also which one would the many linux is better for games and just all around stuff? Because i know that their are a lot of different linuxs out there. I was thinking about Red Hat 9.0. Tell me what you guys think.

Linux User
    well

I dont think linux is a good OS to be running games. I guess games need a lot of graphics and stuff(I havnt played at all) but in my opinion it would be better for you to use windows only...linux is goos if you have any applications that you want to run or a web-server or stuff like that...
    I dont think linux would be a good choice to run games on...but I'm not sure..someone else can probably help you out with this one...
    if you do wanna go ahead with it then Redhat9.0 is a good choice, easy to download and install...

Linux Newbie
    Well, some games that have Linux binaries(For example, Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory) seem to run smoother than they do on Windows systems, but there aren't that many games designed for Linux "out of the box"(For example: Neverwinter Nights, which is getting Linux binaries sometime this month).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    yea games that are first person is what i usually play but i noticed the newer games coming out are supporting linux because a lot of people are playing on it and that is what a lot of companys set their computers up on so that they can host the servers.

Linux Guru
    Linux is really better for playing games than Windows is, it's only that few games are natively ported to Linux.
    However, the Q3 engine is ported to Linux which means that you can run any Q3-based game (Q3 Arena, RtCW, etc.) on Linux. Also, UT2k3 comes with a native Linux binary. I have that installed (sure, it's not like I play very often, but some times it's fun to relax your mind a bit with a game when you're all exhausted from coding =) ), and I find that it works perfectly.
    From what I've heard, both Q3 and UT2k3 get better framerates on Linux than on Windows. At the very least, I know for sure that Tom's hardware made an exhaustive test on Q3 and found that it performed better under Linux. I believe Win2k was the worst.

If you are truly knowledgable about computers, and especially if you want to learn more about them, I can very much recommend switching over to Linux, since it puts you instead of MS in the driver's seat.
    Linux can still be really easy to use. GNOME and KDE can be really user-friendly, and there is some real granny's Linux that's written almost completely in XUL (yes, that would be mozilla's extension language, why?) that's supposed to be so easy to use that it beats even MacOS. But the thing is that you can always escape from all these layers and do precisely what you want.

Linux User
    Dolda,

wats a Q3 engine??

Linux Guru
    Quake 3

Just Joined!
    tahts cool thanks for the information. Now i just have to figure out how to make my cd burner work. lol it freaken broke on me and the computer thinks that its a cd-rom instead of a cd-rw bah. cause i just downloaded red hate 9.0 from fileplanet and i got the iso just need to burn them.

Just Joined!
    tahts cool thanks for the information. Now i just have to figure out how to make my cd burner work. lol it freaken broke on me and the computer thinks that its a cd-rom instead of a cd-rw bah. cause i just downloaded red hate 9.0 from fileplanet and i got the iso just need to burn them.