Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a AMD Phenom II X4 Processor a ATI Radeon HD 5450 video card and 6gb of DDR2 RAM. I was wondering what the fastest (while still being stable) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fastest Linux Distro for Good PC

I have a AMD Phenom II X4 Processor a ATI Radeon HD 5450 video card and 6gb of DDR2 RAM. I was wondering what the fastest (while still being stable) linux distro is. I have tried puppy linux, but since puppy linux is made for low-end computers is there an even faster linux distro if you have more RAM. All I will need to do on the computer is internet browsing, writing (LibreOffice), and run either Java6 or Open JDK. There are many articles for fastest distro for really bad pc, but what if you have an OK pc like myself? Is puppy linux still the best choice? BTW I am most used to Debian based distros (or even better Ubuntu), but would also try other distros, and yes I have tried Lubuntu, but I would like it to be at least as fast as Puppy Linux's Lucid version or faster. Thanks if you need any more info please post what you need to know. I am an ok linux user. Im past my Ubuntu starter days and feel ok using terminal, but I'm not nearly as good to do anything to complex such as recompile the kernel or something. If terminal commands are needed please tell me what I should type. Thanks again.

A 64bit Debian Netinstall with a Light Window Manager install like Fluxbox should be a screamer.

Installing Debian via the Internet
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    A 64bit Debian Netinstall with a Light Window Manager install like Fluxbox should be a screamer.
    Hmm is this faster than running off RAM? I forgot to mention that I am planning to run the OS off an USB External Hard Drive. Will this slow down the performance? i have heard that the fastest way is to run off the RAM, is this true? Thanks and I'll definitely try out 64 Bit Debian Netinstall. BTW I have a USB wifi card. It works fine with Ubuntu will Debian automatically recognize it or is there some special conifg I need to do? Also would I be better off getting something like Fluxbox or something less powerfull like xmonad? Thanks again.

Ubuntu is based on Debian. If it works in Ubuntu.
    It will work in Debian. I can't tell you what special config.
    I am not a mind reader. Translation.

BTW I have a USB wifi card. I
    Down South here. we say. "Well, Alrighty then".

Running in ram is quicker than on platter drive. I run Racy Puppy 5.2.2 on my Acer Aspire Dual core Amd Laptop with 4 gig of ram. It runs OK.

I also run AntiX 12 Beta test on a 16gig Class 4 SD card on that laptop. It runs a bit slower because I am not running in ram like Racy Puppy.

Fluxbox is pretty durn light on resources. I run at about 56MB of ram at idle in AntiX with Fluxbox and a 3.3.1 Kernel. Funny thing is. I get about the same ram usage via a 2.6.36 kernel also. Latest don't mean fastest.

From what I know from members on this forum. For a internal Hardrive install. Either running Puppy or other capable linux distro that runs in ram like Tiny Core Linux. Is hard to beat for speed. I have buddies here on this forum though that also swear that Crux linux and Gentoo Linux when set up right can't be beat for speed also.

If wanting to try Crux Linux as a live session. It won't be running in ram but instead it will be running off of cd drive or usb.

CruxEX Linux Live CD

And here is a Gentoo Live cd

exGENT Linux LiveCD

Exton has Slackware, Slack0 Puppy, and other respins also.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 04-24-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by sudo_smith View Post
    I am an ok linux user. Im past my Ubuntu starter days and feel ok using terminal, but I'm not nearly as good to do anything to complex such as recompile the kernel or something.
    If you are past the "starter days," you should know that most distributions are about the same in regards to capabilities. Difference in speed is mainly due to two factors.
    1) What is installed. As already mentioned, XFCE and LXDE are less bloated and faster than Gnome and KDE. Window managers like Openbox and Fluxbox are even quicker. Whichever system is used, one can either install a minimal system and add xorg with DE or WM of choice; or install a system, install the chosen DE/WM and remove whatever was installed with the system.
    2) Hardware. The better the hardware, the better it will perform. With 6GB of RAM your machine should be quick with anything.

And why the obsession with speed? Unless you are measuring the speed of your computer in milliseconds, a light set-up on your good machine will be quick as greased lightning.

Hmm is this faster than running off RAM? I forgot to mention that I am planning to run the OS off an USB External Hard Drive.
    Why are you afraid to install the system? How is running off an external device quicker than using the internal hard-drive? Especially since Linux uses a swap partition that effectively increases RAM?