Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new here. Essentially what is happening I'd say 50% of the time is that when booting Puppy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Puppy Linux won't boot

Hello. First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new here.
    Essentially what is happening I'd say 50% of the time is that when booting Puppy Linux from USB, it stick on this command line copyright notice, and I can't do anything. When this happens I just turn off the PC fro the power button and restart so no harm done, but just wondering if there is a way to fix this. Thanks!

Howdy and Welcome Boondoggle.

I really don't understand your thread yet. How was Puppy installed to USB? There are so many options to installing Puppy to usb that I can't even list them all. Full or Frugal install?
    Make and model and size of pendrive needed also. Computer you are booting pendrive on also will help. Exact error message to will help.

What bootloader is being used also? I ask all these questions because I run Puppy installs on USB pendrive using grub4dos to boot and use a personal save file on a frugal install. I do this also on SD flash cards to. Plus I run frugal and full installs on internal hard drives. I have not heard of your kind of problem before where 50% of the time it boots.

So some more detail will help your cause here.
    Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Howdy and Welcome Boondoggle.

I really don't understand your thread yet. How was Puppy installed to USB? There are so many options to installing Puppy to usb that I can't even list them all. Full or Frugal install?
    Make and model and size of pendrive needed also. Computer you are booting pendrive on also will help. Exact error message to will help.

What bootloader is being used also? I ask all these questions because I run Puppy installs on USB pendrive using grub4dos to boot and use a personal save file on a frugal install. I do this also on SD flash cards to. Plus I run frugal and full installs on internal hard drives. I have not heard of your kind of problem before where 50% of the time it boots.

So some more detail will help your cause here.
    Happy Trails, Rok
    Thanks for the welcome. Sorry for not providing more detail at first, but here it is:
    I installed Puppy to a 2GB USB flash drive with UNetbootin, so it was never really installed. Pendrive model is GXT 2GB. Computer is Acer Aspire One netbook. There is no error message, just one line on a command line that says something along the lines of "SYSLINUX Copyright 2012 -name here that I can't remember-". The cursor is still blinking underneath that, so I don't think its just hung. Not sure what you mean by bootloader, I've just set the BIOS to boot from the drive.

As per runtt21's request. He is the MacPup developer of Puppy Linux. I made a how to install to usb text file and zipped it up as a .tar so he could insert it in his forum.

If you can use it, Here it is in another Linux forum post of mine.

cant boot macpup 5.2.8 to usb

Computer is Acer Aspire One netbook.
    I have a Acer Aspire One zg5 with the 160gig sata drive and 1 gig of ram with the atom processor. I boot Puppeee 4.4 (atom .iso) and Macpup 528 from external flash on it OK. My above link instructions is what works for me on that Acer and all other computers I use also when ot comes to Puppy Linux flash drive installs.

Hope it helps you. Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    As per runtt21's request. He is the MacPup developer of Puppy Linux. I made a how to install to usb text file and zipped it up as a .tar so he could insert it in his forum.

If you can use it, Here it is in another Linux forum post of mine.

I have a Acer Aspire One zg5 with the 160gig sata drive and 1 gig of ram with the atom processor. I boot Puppeee 4.4 (atom .iso) and Macpup 528 from external flash on it OK. My above link instructions is what works for me on that Acer and all other computers I use also when ot comes to Puppy Linux flash drive installs.

Hope it helps you. Happy Trails, Rok
    Thanks for the help, but I believe installing Puppy to the USB from LiveCD to the USB using Puppy's built-in installer (as opposed to UNetbootin) fixed it. Thanks!