Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, New to Linux, haven't really played with it before, but I'm trying to set something up with Linux and I could really use a hand... The objective: -a 1.44 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Syslinux boot disk for DHCP/TFTP server WITH CDROM support..

Hello,
    New to Linux, haven't really played with it before, but I'm trying to set something up with Linux and I could really use a hand...

The objective:
    -a 1.44 mb boot disk that will load network drivers, a DHCP server, a TFTP server, and load a CDROM driver to share the CDROM...
    -another system must be able to do a PXEboot from the TFTP server and access the CDROM...

-I created a boot disk using syslinux and followed the procedure at the link below to add a DHCP and TFTP server to the disk, but how do I get CDROM support?

http://shum.huji.ac.il/~schapiro/linux/dhcpdtftpd/doc/

Any ideas? I'm used to Dos/Windows and loading drivers without compiling anything, etc....
    Also, I'm looking for a good generic ATAPI driver, and if possible, also a good USB CD driver.

Thanks.

CDROM support would be enabled in the kernel config when you compile your kernel.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

CDROM support would be enabled in the kernel config when you compile your kernel.

Just Joined!
    Hm, OK, any advice on how to do this? All I know is that I put SysLinux on the disk, then (I guess) the kernel from the above link.... How do I add CDROM support to this, or compile a kernel at all? Does this have to be done on a Linux machine, or can I do it from dos/win2k/winxp?

Also, how would i create a network share of the CDROM drive?

Thanks again.

To do a network share of anything you have to have Samba installed (to share w/ winblowz).

As far as the kernel goes, it looks to me (from looking at the SYSLINUX FAQ that you have to have a kernel already compiled and put on the floppy. You may want to email the folks at SYSLINUX and ask them about it, but it doesn't look like SYSLINUX has the kernel source with it. If this is the case, you can get someone running linux to compile a kernel for you.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    winblowz
    Is that like Linuts
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

haha...i've never heard that one