Find the answer to your Linux question:
Kind of a wierd problem but my monitor only will run at a refresh rate of 60hz, the other day while changing resolution in win7 something happened and instead of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need to run win7 command prompt from grub or linux

Kind of a wierd problem but my monitor only will run at a refresh rate of 60hz, the other day while changing resolution in win7 something happened and instead of reverting back after so many seconds it stayed stuck on a wrong resolution and/or bad refresh rate. It boots fine into windows from grub and i see the startup screen but as soon as it loads the user settings the monitor goes black. If I can get to a win command prompt from grub or root then i can change resolution and refresh rate. Any help greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to LinuxForums!
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerknowsthis View Post
    If I can get to a win command prompt from grub or root then i can change resolution and refresh rate.
    So if I understand what you're saying, the problem occurred while running Windows. Right? And you want a Windows command line...
    Can you boot into Windows? You can't boot to a MS CLI from GRUB.

Have you looked at the resolution options for Linux?
    What distro are you running?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Welcome to Windows Hell.

Create a system repair disc

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

Like Jay said. No way from Grub to fix this. First thing I did when I got this Acer with Windows 7 from the wife was make my recovery disks. I guess if you have the original Windows 7 install disk. The link above explains you can fix it with that.

Since it is a Windows 7 problem. Some kind of Windows compatible boot cd or dvd may need to be searched for.

How to Make a Windows 7 or Vista Repair Disk If You Don’t Have One - How-To Geek

Also. Some gear have a recovery partition that will restore Windows to virgin state. You can use you Linux partition to back up anything you don't want to lose to your Linux partition or external drive though before using that utility.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Welcome to Windows Hell.
    LOL rok!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Definitely check the links that roky provided.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    thanx jayd512 and roky for the help

I was gonna do a win7 recovery from grub that backed up everything but i got 700+gb and that prolly woulda took 3 days to backup it all up
    So i said screw it and went up to the local goodwill and bought a little 15" lcd monitor for $10......solved
    I am actually glad it happened cause the day it happened was the first day i had ever installed or used linux and no windows forced me to use Debian more than i would have, and i gotta say damn windows sucks, it really sucks

So i said screw it and went up to the local goodwill and bought a little 15" lcd monitor for $10......solved
    Sounds like something I would do . A lot of my legacy computer parts, CRT, IDE Hardrives, A case of Floppy Disks, ancient SD/MMX external card reader, Mice, Keyboards, Blank cdrw disks, even old Desktops come from Salvation Army and Goodwill, (plus my freebie AntiX emachine from a dumpster dive).

A lot of USA Linux users don't know of these excellent computer resources.