Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've a statically linked application (sample.a) and I want to build it with a third party library(third-party-lib.a) which is PIC enabled. Note that the third party library is NOT ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to build a statically linked appl with PIC enabled static library?

Hi,

I've a statically linked application (sample.a) and I want to build it with a third party library(third-party-lib.a) which is PIC enabled. Note that the third party library is NOT a shared library. It is a PIC enabled static library.

Can anyone please suggest how do I do this?

I tried linking my library with a third party library like we usually link static libraries but it gives me an error:

/usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a(stack_chk_fail_local.oS): In function `__stack_chk_fail_local':
    (.text+0x10): undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'

Thanks in advance.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A word of advice - ALWAYS build your code with PIC enabled. I have run into this problem so many times in the past (linking PIC-enabled libraries with non-PIC-enabled ones) that this is now a rule in every organization I have worked that. What PIC does is make your functions and variables relocatable - necessary for shared libraries, but useful for mixed-mode situations such as yours. If you cannot recompile your own libraries with PIC enabled, then I think you are SOL...

Anyway, since you aren't providing any specific compiler/linker command lines that you are using, this is the best advice I can provide.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    1. Were you getting the same error that I'm getting? One school of thought says that it shouldn't matter whether it is PIC enabled or not. So I'm in a fix now. Please let me know whether the error message is same as the one you were getting.

2. I've noticed one more thing. This problem doesn't occur when I compile with with my usr/bin's gcc. The gcc we use in our toolchain is of older version and with that gcc I face this problem. I can't build all of my source code with the gcc in user/bin at the moment due to various other factors.

Here's where it fails during build:

### lmutil [2012-06-05 03:57:58 GMT]
    make: Entering directory `/data/home2/vineet/vvinod_main/flexnet/utils/build/_debug-Linux-ipv4.LSB_3.0-i686-main'
    make: Warning: File `Makefile' has modification time 2.5e+04 s in the future
    [LD] lmutil
    lsbcc -o lmutil.debug -D_DEBUG -ggdb -O0 -m32 -march=pentium -pipe -DARCH_INTEL -DARCH_X86 -DOS_LINUX -pthread -DLM_INTERNAL -DFLEXLM_KITBUILD -DFLEX_STATIC -DGPLATFORM="i86_lsb" -DLINUX -DLSB3_0 -D__FD_SETSIZE=65535 -DGLIBC -DX86 -DREDHAT -DREL -DPLATFORM_X86_RHLINUX -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG -Wl,--dynamic-linker=/lib/ld-lsb.so.3 -nodefaultlibs -Wl,--dynamic-linker=/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --lsb-besteffort --lsb-target-version=3.0 ../../lib/_debug-Linux-ipv4.LSB_3.0-i686-main/liblmutil.a ../../../src/build/_debug-Linux-ipv4.LSB_3.0-i686-main-mt_nopic/liblmgr.a ../../../../flexnet/src/dongle/_debug-Linux-ipv4.LSB_3.0-i686-main/dongle.a ../../../../3rdparty/cert/lib/Linux_LSB_3.0_i686/libcrvs.a ../../../../3rdparty/cert/lib/Linux_LSB_3.0_i686/libsb.a ../../../../FNP/_output/_debug/fnp-i86_lsb-11.11.0.0/i86_lsb/lib/libFNPload-nopic/libFNPload.a -L /v/toolchain/Linux-LSB_3.0-i686/lib -Wl,-dn -lstdc++ -Wl,-dy -lpthread -lm -lgcc -lgcc_s -lc -ldl
    /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a(stack_chk_fail_local.oS): In function `__stack_chk_fail_local':
    (.text+0x10): undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Also, this is how I merge the third party PC enabled static libraries:
    <postlink cmd="armerge dongle$(LIB_SUFFIX)$(AREXTENSION) dongle$(LIB_SUFFIX)$(AREXTENSION) ../../libs/linux/libhasplnx350.a" system="Linux" architecture="i686" subvariant="!mt_pic" />

<postlink cmd="armerge dongle$(LIB_SUFFIX)$(AREXTENSION) dongle$(LIB_SUFFIX)$(AREXTENSION) ../../libs/linux/libhasplnx120_x64.a" system="Linux" architecture="x86_64" subvariant="!mt_pic" />

libhasplnx350.a and and libhasplnx120_x64.a are the libraries.

Thanks.