Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a harddisk with important data and the disk speed is extremely slow with tons of slow/bad sectors which cannot be repaired. Some Linux distributions reach the timeout period ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to save information from bad HDD in linux?

I have a harddisk with important data and the disk speed is extremely slow with tons of slow/bad sectors which cannot be repaired. Some Linux distributions reach the timeout period of detecting HDD/Partition. I managed to get in the partition using Xfe tool (from booting Xiaopan OS) and it can mount the partition and I see the files/folders. It detects the right amount of data not detectable in Windows OS not even the partition size...
    BUT this Xfe tool says the file system is read only even when I try chmod 777 on another folder which is on another HDD which doesn't have problems. I tried Linux Mint which cannot even load. It says at loading screen for hours. SuseLive won't mount the partition at all giving error possibly caused by timeout.
    I have plenty of time to save the data just cannot find the appropriate method .
    Norton Ghost needs like 200 days+ to make a backup image of the partition. The bad disk is with C and D partitions and the second partition is most important.

The harddisc seems physically damaged.
    Any operation on it will likely create more errors.

Depending on how important the data is, you might consider a professional data rescue service.

If you decide to continue on your own, then boot this xiaopan again as it seems to be able to mount the partitions.
    Also conenct a empty and big enough additional drive.
    Format and mount this destination drive.
    Then try to copy from the damaged to the destination drive.

P.S.: There is no backup, I assume?
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    The harddisc seems physically damaged.
    Any operation on it will likely create more errors.

Depending on how important the data is, you might consider a professional data rescue service.

If you decide to continue on your own, then boot this xiaopan again as it seems to be able to mount the partitions.
    Also conenct a empty and big enough additional drive.
    Format and mount this destination drive.
    Then try to copy from the damaged to the destination drive.

P.S.: There is no backup, I assume?
    Yep no backup. The data isn't worth the price of professional saving in laboratory with extracting the disk itself and scanning it sector by sector.
    So XiaopanOs will possibly change the write permission on a newly formated disk? The problem with this xiaopanos is that it is extremelly modified(ripped) and I don't think it has format feature or maybe using terminal/shell.
    I am currently trying another Hiren's Boot options like ntfs4dos mounted in volkov commander. It detects the partition and files/folders and I tried xcopy to another folder but it seems it stops on the very first file. I need something with the option to skip bad files like killcopy.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close