Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is it possible to share a fax in linux, using samba. THen have windows clients send faxes to the shared faxes, right of their desktop???...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SAMBA+FAXES+ SHARING

Is it possible to share a fax in linux, using samba. THen have windows clients send faxes to the shared faxes, right of their desktop???

Linux Engineer
    Faxes? I can't say. File sharing and printing? Yes.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    I havent heard anybody using faxes by SAMBA, but is should be fun to know if it workes, give it a try....otherwise like bpark says, files and printing...

regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    Could it be that you're referring to using these "virtual fax printers", that work like printers, but "print" the documents to a fax modem?

Just Joined!
    Google is your friend.

Linux Engineer
    Cool!!!
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!

VIRUTUAL FAX PRINTERS, HHMMMM..

"Could it be that you're referring to using these "virtual fax printers", that work like printers, but "print" the documents to a fax modem?"

DOLDA, you are on the right track, could you please enlighten us on the subject. What components are there to this virtual fax printers? Can we use them in linux to share them with windows clinets? It sounds like a windows technology not linux.

Thanks in advance Dolda, you are the man... I dont care what anyone says about you in the forums.

Just Joined!

VIRUTUAL FAX PRINTERS, HHMMMM..

hope the wise crack does'nt offend you :P

Linux Guru
    Wise crack? What's that?

Anyway, I don't really know much about it; I haven't used a fax modems for years, but in what direction do you want to make this work? Do you want to print from Linux to such a printer driver installed on Linux, or do you want to create such a solution on the Linux system, and then print to it using the Windows boxes?

Just Joined!

FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue79/fraile.html

check out the above site, its exactly what i need. From what i was able to understand. My users will be able to send faxes from their desktops straight to a "print queue" wich will be a fax. The share will be available to them through samba, specifically a tool called sambafax. Anyway this is good news.... best of all.......

its free.... every other tool i tried to research such as simantec fax server, microsoft small office server , wich includes a fax sharing service, also cost 1000$ with 5 cals. Thats exactly what I hate about these software companies. YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT EVEN AFTER I'VE PURCHASED YOUR SERVER FOR 1000 $, ANYONE THAT WANTS TO USE IT MUST ALSO "PAY UP". ****, KISS MY ARSE!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast