Find the answer to your Linux question:
A very newbie question (you might noticed that I am from my previous questions in other forums) 1- Which is a "better" distribution to install and use for a newbie? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat or Mandrake?

A very newbie question (you might noticed that I am from my previous questions in other forums)

1- Which is a "better" distribution to install and use for a newbie? Red Hat 9.0 or Madrake 9.0 ? Why?

2- What's the difference?
    3- I am a C++ programmer and I am planning to explore Linux programming after I learn the software, I think I will use GNU GCC (Which I came to know is a good C++ compiler). Will my choice between RH or Mandrake make any difference on programming?

Thanks.

Linux Newbie
    I like Mandrake(Of course, it's the distro I use, so I might be a little biased towards it )
    But I've heard they're both equally good for newbies, although some have told me that Mandrake's installation stuff is easier to do.

Linux Guru
    1. I'd say they're probably about equal. Use mdk if you want to use KDE, though.
    2. Look and feel. Mdk doesn't have RH's strange KDE distribution.
    3. That will make no difference. GCC is GCC is GCC.

Just Joined!

How about gentoo?

How about Gentoo? I read that it's a very great distribution and more powerful.

I am really lost, I don't have all these options in MS World!

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    I intend to try out gentoo sometime very soon, since I've heard, too, that it's really great. I can assure you that it's not recommended if you're new to the Linux and UNIX world, though.