Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Ok let me give some background before I ask my question. Basically I am running Cent OS on a Dedicated box. The box runs software for me, which uses ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Multiple Cores, One Thread

Hi,

Ok let me give some background before I ask my question. Basically I am running Cent OS on a Dedicated box. The box runs software for me, which uses Java - only problem is, this software is poorly designed and runs on one thread. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to change this software to multi threaded, since it is closed source.

So I been looking around, without much luck. I have been wondering if it is possible to manipulate OS into running a "Virtual Thread", which then load balances the work across all of the cores.

I am guess the reason for me not being able to find anything on the web, is that this is a completely idiotic idea and doesn't exist. And if so, I am just looking for clarification on it, so that I can move on and try to work out another option.

Thanks

Hi and welcome

In general this cannot be done, as you already suspected.
    The reason are, that you would need thread synchronisation, a locking mechanism and some balance logic to do this and also to avoid data corruption.
    As this is a closed, single threaded software you cannot change it.

It *may* be possible to run multiple instances of this application, but you would need to make sure, that they dont work on the same data.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for clarifying that for me.