Find the answer to your Linux question:
The back story is, right now I have a file server using ext4 on the OS level. It stores music, video(large files), and disk images(also large files). This is all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Benefits of btrfs over ext4?

The back story is, right now I have a file server using ext4 on the OS level. It stores music, video(large files), and disk images(also large files).
    This is all sitting on a RAID 6 too.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to use btrfs over ext4. I'm sold on the file integrity side of btrfs, but would performance be an issue with those kinds of files?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    BTRFS is very, very new. Stability may be an issue, depending upon the kernel version you are running. Stick with ext4 for now. It works well, is reliable, and stable. I use it for similar uses to yours, including on RAID arrays. For large files like you get with audio, video, images, then the performance advantages of btrfs (mostly unproven as yet, IMO) won't be much. I think if you were copying/moving/generating tonnes of small files then btrfs may be something to consider. That said, 2 years from now, this will probably be redundant...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!