Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi guys, Since this handheld is open source and runs on linux I figured someone around here might be able to help me. I am trying to play Ultima 6, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mount issue with dosbox

Hi guys,
    Since this handheld is open source and runs on linux I figured someone around here might be able to help me.
    I am trying to play Ultima 6, Martian Dreams , Savage Empire on my Gp2x Wiz through Dosbox but it won't save properly, It seems to have to do with the way the device mounts and unmounts the dir..
    Now doing a search I found that this fellow : ttp://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.p...6ff896eb85
    found a solution but I don't understand exactly what he did, is there anyone here who understands and could help me out?

Thanks

Trusted Penguin
    can you try posting that link again. just copy and paste the actual URL, and then replace http with hxxp or similar.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    can you try posting that link again. just copy and paste the actual URL, and then replace http with hxxp or similar.
    hxxp://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=19066&sid=ce18a65ff346778d9fcf096f f896eb85

There, try that..
    Thanks for the reply , I hope someone can help me, Being able to play Ultima martian dreams, Savage empire and ultima Underworld on the go would be great.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by LTStone View Post
    hxxp://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=19066&sid=ce18a65ff346778d9fcf096f f896eb85

There, try that..
    Thanks for the reply , I hope someone can help me, Being able to play Ultima martian dreams, Savage empire and ultima Underworld on the go would be great.
    Okay, so they are saying in that thread that the filesystem upon which the game save files were being saved needed to be mounted a certain way, at boot time. If you think that is indeed your problem, you should try to verify that first. I guess you could do that by looking at the DOS Box terminal from which you launch your game and see what it says when you try to save a game. You may have to try multiple saves, as that thread suggests.

If you do confirm the problem, then we'll need some more info to be able to help you.

Are you using an SD Card?

Are you using a FAT (Windows) filesystem?

What is your Linux distro/version?

Show the output of the following commands:

show all detected hard disk drives:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    show partitions that get mounted at boot time:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    show all currently mounted partitions and their mount options:
    Code:
    cat /proc/mounts

Just Joined!
    Just recently heres what another guys said concerning that thread..

This is evidently a problem with the unofficial, unmaintained GP2X port rather than with DOSBox itself.

Skutarth wrote:
    Here's how I mounted it for it to work:
    umount /mnt/sd
    mount /mnt/sd -t vfat -o rw,sync,noatime,check=r
    These are shell commands that you will have to execute on your GP2X before running DOSBox.

Does this help at all?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Okay, so they are saying in that thread that the filesystem upon which the game save files were being saved needed to be mounted a certain way, at boot time. If you think that is indeed your problem, you should try to verify that first. I guess you could do that by looking at the DOS Box terminal from which you launch your game and see what it says when you try to save a game. You may have to try multiple saves, as that thread suggests.

If you do confirm the problem, then we'll need some more info to be able to help you.

Are you using an SD Card?
    Yes, and I tried nand, same save problem

Are you using a FAT (Windows) filesystem?
    It says FAT32

What is your Linux distro/version?
    Not sure

Show the output of the following commands:
    Ill get to you..

show all detected hard disk drives:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    Ill get back to you..

show partitions that get mounted at boot time:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    I'll get back to you..

show all currently mounted partitions and their mount options:
    Code:
    cat /proc/mounts
    I'll get back..

Just Joined!
    Here's some more info..
    so it appears the user was able to create a script run from /tmp that would remount the sd card to a proper mounting that would preserve the case of the filenames.
    But really i cant tell you anymore than what is in the thread, i never tried to run u6 on the gp2x.

Trusted Penguin
    Just recently heres what another guys said concerning that thread..

This is evidently a problem with the unofficial, unmaintained GP2X port rather than with DOSBox itself.

Skutarth wrote:
    Here's how I mounted it for it to work:
    umount /mnt/sd
    mount /mnt/sd -t vfat -o rw,sync,noatime,check=r
    These are shell commands that you will have to execute on your GP2X before running DOSBox.

Does this help at all?
    it might help, but we still need information about your system. i.e., do you have an sd card? is it your root partition or a data partition?

Just Joined!
    umount /mnt/sd
    I tried this using a terminal in nand and it will unmount the sd card
    but when i try this
    "mount /mnt/sd -t vfat -o rw,sync,noatime,check=r"
    I get
    mount: can't find /mnt/sd in /etc/fstab

There is alot of info when I use the terminal, when I find out how to get a snapshot or a log file I'll post the rest of the info..
    Last edited by LTStone; 08-14-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Trusted Penguin
    but when i try this
    "mount /mnt/sd -t vfat -o rw,sync,noatime,check=r"
    I get
    mount: can't find /mnt/sd in /etc/fstab
    that's b/c you need to specify the device/partition to the mount command. if you had an entry for it in /etc/fstab, then mount could use that, otherwise, you must specify it.

for example, you might say:
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sd -t vfat -o rw,sync,noatime,check=r
    once we have the output from your commands, we'll know the correct name for the SD card.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast