Find the answer to your Linux question:
I taught myself how to use the mount command via the man pages, but I have to use sudo to do so. (My user acount obviously doesn't have access.) I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

'sudo mount filesystem' without denying user acount access?

I taught myself how to use the mount command via the man pages, but I have to use sudo to do so. (My user acount obviously doesn't have access.)

I mounted my ntfs filesystem to /home/*username*/data using sudo, but it's denying my user acount access to that folder, which it previously did have access too, with the mounted filesystem.

How can I mount the filesystem without denying my user acount access to it? Or at least, how can I give my user acount access to it? Thank you.

Check youe /etc/fstab you might need to add 'user' to the line about the partition;

If you want you can post the fstab here;

Merry Christams;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    This will give you rw access to this specific drive.
    Note that you cannot Write to an NTFS drive since ntfs write isnt supported yet. (still experimental)
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_main <filesystem> rw,umask=0 0 0
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I have another question though. I pecked in 'sudo vim /etc/fstab' and it still told me it was read only, and /dev/hda1 wasn't listed at all? Why?

And thanks again for the help.

Linux Engineer
    well for hd1 not been in there simply meens it doest mount it a boot... fairly self explanatory :P

As for the read only, I rarely use sudo.... I usually change permission and then reput the old permission... saves me headache
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

I'm not sure what dev the partition is you are trying to mount, if it is /dev/hda1 just add it to /eyc/fstab like Ugo said but changing rw to ro since I do not recomend writing to ntfs, if it isn't /dev/hda1 just add whatever dev/hda* it is to the fstab.

You might have to mount it with:
    Code:
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /home/*username*/data
    dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Thankya. I can't wait to get home and test it out.