Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm prepared purchasing a 10G plan running a simple website advertising company service. Following software will be upload to web hosting provider. OS - Linux server Web server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Space running a simple website

Hi all,

I'm prepared purchasing a 10G plan running a simple website advertising company service. Following software will be upload to web hosting provider.

OS - Linux server
    Web server - Apache2 or Lighttpd
    Security - iptables
    Web admin - Webmin
    other relevant software for running a basic website.

User emails account limited to 10.

My question is whether 10G space will be sufficient? Please advise. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Engineer
    Hello. If you're just making a simple brochure or wordpress site, then you should save your money by not buying a VPS.

Just get regular web hosting from GoDaddy or other similar service.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Hello. If you're just making a simple brochure or wordpress site, then you should save your money by not buying a VPS.

Just get regular web hosting from GoDaddy or other similar service.
    Thanks for your advice.

I need regular hosting. I'm now contacting GoDaddy. I'm not sure about the space needed. Actually their Economy Plan and Deluxe Plan are quite close in price. But the former offer 10G storage space and latter 150G space.

Web Hosting | Cloud Based Hosting & Unlimited Bandwidth - Go Daddy

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Engineer
    I have the Deluxe (they used to call it 'business') package because you can have more than one site on the hosting like most other hosting companies.

That way, if you want to set up a new site for yourself, your business, or a friend, etc, you don't have to buy more hosting space.

10G is a lot of space. You shouldn't need more than that, and if you're tight on money, go with that.

Also, check out http://www.retailmenot.com/view/godaddy.com for promo codes. GoDaddy is always issuing promo codes, so you can actually pay a bit less than the advertised price.

Linux Guru
    Hi mizzle,

I'm prepared subscribing the Deluxe Plan. The difference in fee is very small with only about USD2 per month increase for a 24 month contract.

I have following question please help me to understand.

A. Terms on GoDaddy Website:

1) What does it mean - 100 Email Accounts2 (what is 2) ?

2) What does it mean - 10 MySQL Databases (1 GB ea.) ?

3) What does it mean - Plan Features, FREE 10 FotoliaŽ Photo Credits5 ?

B. Technical Questions

1) The OS to run my website will be either Fedora 64bit or Ubuntu 64bit (both latest version). Can I upload it to GoDaddy Website? OR they alread provide the OS?

2) Can I upload other applications(software) to Godaddy for running my website?

3) How to divide the storage space provided running several websites? OR I just upload the websites to GoDaddy Server untill the space is full?

4) Actual I don't have experience to upload applications(software) to Service provider server running my own website.
    Where can I find relevant document to follow?

For remote access a server the experience I have:
    Have the server installed and tested completely. Then send the server to the datacenter.

Please shed me some light. Please help. Thanks

Actually I'm able to run my own server at home. I'm subscribing static IP with 8M/8M up and down speed. Also I can upgrade to 100M/100M, fiber optic connection. The difference in fee is only about USD35 per month without installation fees. But considering the safety measure I cease the idea running a home server. Because the server is running 7x24. What about if there is no body at home and/or at night the server gets overheated and catching fire? Therefore I stop running the server at home unless I solve the safety problem.

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Engineer
    Well, you'll be on linux hosting, but you won't have a VPS with that plan.

You won't be able to upload applications or change OS settings, just web site files.

100 email accounts is for hosted email, such as youname@yourdomain.com

You don't have to divide space across sites, they all share that space.

You can upload files using FTP, or in GoDaddy's web panel.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Well, you'll be on linux hosting, but you won't have a VPS with that plan.

You won't be able to upload applications or change OS settings, just web site files.

100 email accounts is for hosted email, such as youname@yourdomain.com

You don't have to divide space across sites, they all share that space.

You can upload files using FTP, or in GoDaddy's web panel.
    Thanks for your advice.

After contacting GoDaddy it has been confirmed that Economy/Deluxe is Virtual Hosting plan. They're running Apache 2.2.13. I have been using GoDaddy registering Domain for 4 years.

I'll subscribe Deluxe, one month plan, to test. The max number of websites allowed on Economy is 10 and Deluxe 25 respectively. 10 websites is more than enough to me. Also 10G will be sufficient at the beginning. But Economy doesn't offer monthly plan, min 3 months.

I only have 2 simple website, one for advertising my company still running and another for my son advertising his knowhow on derivative, He is working in the stock department of a multinational bank. There is no online business

Actually it looks quite funny to me looking for web hosting service. I have all facility here capable for web hosting, fixed IP, 8M/8M up/down and 2 server boxes for testing. One box is running Oracle VirtualBox with 30 VMs installed and another box running RedHat KVM with 20 VMs installed. The VMs are Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu/Windows2008 servers, all working.

The problem faced by me is the heat generated on running the server 7x24. Even though they are headless server without display and graphic cards. Unless running the air conditioner round the clock I can't keep my server working 7x24. Therefore it would be better for me spending a few dollars per month looking for some place to host my websites.