Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I found the Linux Distribution Chooser to be helpful, but is there one for the desktop environment?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Which Desktop Environment?

I found the Linux Distribution Chooser to be helpful, but is there one for the desktop environment?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Ask ten Linux users which desktop and you'll get at least 12 options thrown at you! I've not seen a desktop chooser anywhere, they tend to be distro choosers. If you have a recommended distro then have a go with the default that comes with it and see what you like and dislike about it.

Me? XFCE for a semi-skimmed desktop and openbox for a skimmed lightweight environment.

Oh yeah... and welcome to LFo.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Welcome aboard!

Like the man said, desktop choices are really abundant.
    All I can suggest is to install a few and see what you think about them.
    Aside from DEs like Gnome, KDE and Unity, you can also look at various window managers like JWM or IceWM.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I would like one that the desktop themes could be customized and edited like the desktop themes of Windows ME. Other than that, I noticed that some desktop environments come with browsers, media players, etc. I will be using my own choice of these. I have the impression though that certain desktop environments are more compatible with specific distros than others.

I am considering Mint, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, OpenSUSE and Mandriva. Cinnamon looks promising, but according to Wikipedia, it isn’t stable yet. So I ordered the Mint that comes with MATE.

Thanks for the welcome, even though I have been here before.

Nearly all Desktop environments and window managers can be configured and changed beyond the wildest dreams of Windows. No really In the case of Cinnamon, unstable means "changing" and not "always falling over".
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

And I understand code page support in Linux is also much more flexible than Windows. Another reason why I am switching. I*just used AutoHotkey to create an AutoCorrect that is used by almost all text input interfaces, and used Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to customize the US-International keyboard mostly so I can input macron vowels for Romaji and a few other letters and symbols I use frequently (like real quotes).

Okay, after getting the low-down on the specific Toshiba utilities, accessories and drivers that came with my laptop, I have begun trying out the LiveCDs of the various distros that I am interested in. I have the Mint/MAKE distro, but would also like to try Cinnamon. Is there a way to download just Cinnamon and switch between the two desktop environments?

My initial reaction is appreciation of how easy it was to start up and use Linux and a sense of being overwhelmed at the prospect of converting my settings for Windows and the applications. I have things set up the way I want them (at least as far as possible with Windows) and would basically like to start from there and then make changes with Linux. This is especially important with my settings, contacts and bookmarks for Opera, Skype and Yahoo Messenger.

[I just spent the last twenty minutes or so composing this post only to not be able to post it and lost the last paragraph. This is very annoying. Especially since I lost my train of thought because of the distraction. I have never had this happen on any other forum. Is there some way to extend the time limit for staying logged in?]

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix View Post
    Is there a way to download just Cinnamon and switch between the two desktop environments?
    Open a terminal and run the command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cinnamon
    and you should be able to switch between them at the login screen by selecting the appropriate session.

Is there some way to extend the time limit for staying logged in?]
    No but you can tick the "Remember me" box when you log in. Personally I always compose longer posts in a text editor and then copy and paste the text in whatever forum I am using.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Concerning your last question:
    [I just spent the last twenty minutes or so composing this post only to not be able to post it and lost the last paragraph. This is very annoying. Especially since I lost my train of thought because of the distraction. I have never had this happen on any other forum. Is there some way to extend the time limit for staying logged in?]
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Once you see it notify you that it Auto-Saved, you're good. If you close your browser or tab, come on back and return to the thread that you were replying to. Once you hit the Reply button, look to the bottom left corner of the text window.
    You should see the Restore Auto Saved Content in light blue. Slightly above where it says Show your signature.
    Original thread here.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Thanks Elija, for the tip about cinnamon. Yeah, I would do that on Facebook, since you can’t create paragraph breaks on the posts there. Seems that remember me should just preŽmpt the log out.

Jay, when you are logged out in the middle of composing a post, it stops auto saving it. I was only able to rescue the last two lines that needed to be edited. The last paragraph is gone. Oh well, I will probably think of it again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast