Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey. I recently got a Maxtor OneTouch USB external hard drive, and LILO seems to have problems with the device. My laptop is a dual-boot machine with both Mandrake and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LILO and external hard drives

Hey. I recently got a Maxtor OneTouch USB external hard drive, and LILO seems to have problems with the device. My laptop is a dual-boot machine with both Mandrake and Windows XP. If I ever boot my laptop with the drive plugged in and turned on, LILO will lock up at a text screen either showing "L" or "LIL" and not do anything. Only if the external drive is unplugged and/or turned off will LILO load up normally, and it's a bother to keep switching the drive on and off all the time. I've tried switching the USB port the drive is plugged into, but I can't fix this problem. Has anybody else ran into this problem with external hard drives, and if so, do you know of any fixes?

Linux Engineer
    Since you dont load anything from the USB drive, I had to disable USB booting in BIOS... not sure if it was the exact thing that fixed it but it worth a try
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Well, that worked just fine. No more LILO probs. Thanks a bunch, Ugo.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    no problem... you came to the right place for help

Dont hesitate to give a shout back if you need anymore information
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!

external hard drive usb 2.0 WiFi

Can I use an external hard drive, USB 2 WiFi with a computer that is not wireless?