Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I installed Ubuntu and am using it as my only OS. I'm using ver 10.10 and love it. It is now unsupported so I installed ver 12.10 and EWWWWW I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

There's only one thing wrong with Linux

I installed Ubuntu and am using it as my only OS.
    I'm using ver 10.10 and love it. It is now unsupported so I installed ver 12.10 and EWWWWW I don't like it at all. So I went back to 10.10 but I am advised on the Ubuntu forum that I am asking for trouble.

Same with Mint and all others I assume.

Why do the developers feel compelled to mess around with a distro that works and works well. Why not just keep improving the basic ver and leave the basics (look, feel, layout, functioning, etc.) alone.

I can understand Microsoft doing it they have a profit motive.

Well, it depends on the distro. Ubuntu is notorious for messing its users about. If you want something that doesn't change fundamentally, use Debian.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Well, it depends on the distro. Ubuntu is notorious for messing its users about. If you want something that doesn't change fundamentally, use Debian.
    Thanks, I'll look into debian

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I second Debian, shares a lot with Ubuntu because it's Ubuntu's parent distro.

Also, if you decide you have to have Ubuntu, try one of their LTS releases. 12.04 was the latest LTS release, and should be supported for 3+ years.

Just Joined!
    You're not alone in disliking Unity. Try cinnamon (google cinnamon ubuntu to get a tutorial - I'm not yet allowed to post links).

Just Joined!
    Ok, I've now made 15 posts (since I joined in 200 so maybe now I can post a link. Here you go: Ubuntu + Cinnamon - A good idea? No. A great one.

Ubuntu is like a Debian cousin of Fedora. Both are meant to stay on the 'bleeding edge' of the software wave.
    When you are dealing with an OS that stays on the forefront of software versions, you have to expect changes to come hard and heavy.

Debian is a good choice if you're looking for 'Stay the same' stability... even if you run on the Testing repos.
    Slackware is also known for taking it slow on really switching it up. So there is another option.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by natchezjohn View Post
    Thanks, I'll look into debian
    I'd actually disagree. If you're used to Ubuntu I'd say try Mint. Not that Debian is bad or anything, quite to the contrary. It's simply that Mint, much like Ubuntu, has a lot of good software packaged in it by default, and the repos are quite a bit bigger. I also feel they're both more polished than Debian UI wise.

As for why Ubuntu does what it does, I honestly think it's going downhill for the same reason Apple's OS X is going downhill. It's my belief that after an OS makes a peak like both of the above, they're still 'expected' to release major updates...which is a problem when the OS is pretty polished already...so things start to go down hill from there. I've used the Unity interface for quite some time and you DO get used to it, and the Unity interface in 11.04 wasn't bad, but it has sense gone down hill, and now that they're incorporating amazon search into it and stuff it's becoming quite clunky it's going down hill in my opinion. I feel the peak for OS X was Snow Leopard, and I'm not sure what to expect out of 8, but I doubt they can do much better than 7 with the current recipe they have, so it's either going to be a repeat or it's going to be a complete changeover which will start failing.

It's pretty crappy, but it is what it is I guess :-\.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by natchezjohn View Post
    Why do the developers feel compelled to mess around with a distro that works and works well. Why not just keep improving the basic ver and leave the basics (look, feel, layout, functioning, etc.) alone.
    This is a good question, not only as it refers to certain linux distros, but as it refers to computer technologies in general. It bugged me for years, but then I realized that developers must at least TRY to keep improving their stuff and keeping it fresh, or else someone else will do the same thing better, and they'll get forgotten. The thing is, "better" is subjective.

As far as linux goes, the beauty is that you have SO MANY choices, as the development of this thread is proving. Also, what I think the OP is talking about when he says the Ubuntu developers are messing with a good thing is that they've change the desktop environment. If you liked Ubuntu, then I say the suggestion to try the Cinnamon desktop in the latest Ubuntu is a good one. I've never tried it myself, but I've heard it's an attempt to preserve Gnome 2, which is what you were getting used to in Ubuntu 10.10.

Edit: I just checked out Cinnamon, and although it's hard to tell by looking at a couple screenshots, it doesn't look anything like Gnome 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacopag View Post
    This is a good question, not only as it refers to certain linux distros, but as it refers to computer technologies in general. It bugged me for years, but then I realized that developers must at least TRY to keep improving their stuff, or else someone else will do the same thing better, and you're out of business. The thing is, "better" is subjective.

As far as linux goes, the beauty is that you have SO MANY choices, as the development of this thread is proving. Also, what I think the OP is talking about when he says the Ubuntu developers are messing with a good thing is that they've change the desktop environment. If you liked Ubuntu, then I say the suggestion to try the Cinnamon desktop in the latest Ubuntu is a good one. I've never tried it myself, but I've heard it's an attempt to preserve Gnome 2, which is what you were getting used to in Ubuntu 10.10.
    I agree.

Also, I use Cinnamon on a daily basis, and love it. It's almost as good as full Gnome 2.X IMO, but the great thing about Mint is they have a distro which has Mate built into it as the default desktop environment.

So you can install a copy of Mint which is literally running Gnome 2.X (6?), they froze a fork of one of the latest stable 2.X Gnome versions (I don't believe it was the last because I believe the last had issues).

Cinnamon is nice because it's "what Gnome should have been" - they forked off of the same version that Mate is (I believe it was the same version, if not, it was quite close), and attempt to fix Gnome where it went off track in version 2, clean it up, and inevitably they want it to be a completely separate environment.

Much like Gnome 2, it's very productive, I can attest to that. Though if you're not ready to trust Cinnamon, trust Mint with Mate, should be nearly identical to 10.10 as far as the desktop environment is concerned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast