Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried twice to take a screenshot and my computer froze up and i had to unplug it. When I started it back up I got " Disk boot Failure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Disk Boot Failure

I tried twice to take a screenshot and my computer froze up and i had to unplug it. When I started it back up I got " Disk boot Failure " and please insert a disk. Eventually i inserted " Parted Magic " which did not indicate
    my having a hard drive at all. Panic set in as i contemplated the cost of getting my hard drive replaced. About 30 minutes later I started my computer up and the boot menu was back.

I do not know what happened but I'm glad my computer is working again
    and I'm surely not going to try taking any more screenshots.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Hey Lucky, first I'd make sure the drive is properly connected to the system (is this a laptop, or desktop/deskside system?). Then I'd make a full system bit-image backup to an external drive (just in case). Finally, I'd run the best diagnostic tools I could find to determine if there is any material problem with the drive, controller, or motherboard. If you need, I'll point you to some good diagnostic DVDs that you can download, burn, boot, and use to test your system every which way to Sunday.

-Rubberman
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thanks Rubberman, I believe my problem stated with an email from osdisc sales on December 7, 2012 which listed seven new distros.
    I was going through the links when the amber light on the front of my computer indicated that a download was in progress. I could
    only stop it by shutting off my external modem. Whatever was being downloaded did not get to finish and I think this caused my
    subsequent temporary boot failure. I sure could use some diagnostic DVD's!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I found a good one not too long ago. I'll make you a copy and send it to you. It's self-booting and has a raft of diagnostics, including a linux distribution you can boot into to access your files and clean them up. I'll also post a link when I remember what it is...

Ok. Found the disc. It is a bootable CD - Hiren's Test Tools v15.1. Here is a link: Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD www.hiren.info
    Note they are up to version 15.2 - stuff to test motherboards, ram, disc drives, etc. Email me if you want me to send you a copy.

Here is another link with a downloadable/burnable copy: Download Hiren