Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am relatively new to Linux but seriously considering replacing my motherboard and upgrading the hdd to 2TB. However don't know what I should consider when comparing the various motherboards ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

replacing the motheboard

I am relatively new to Linux but seriously considering replacing my motherboard and upgrading the hdd to 2TB.

However don't know what I should consider when comparing the various motherboards available.

Therefore can someone make a suggestion about what aspects of the board to look at, please.

I do not require a motherboard which will handle the latest games. Probably the most I will require is to watch the free to air television.

At the moment I am running Gentoo.

Will a new motherboard require a reintsall ? And what effect will Secure boot have?

All advice gretly appreciated. Hope this is in the right place.

Linux User
    Around here old desktop PCs are so cheap and common these days that I haven't done a mobo replacement in 10 years. I take the peripherals out and ditch them at the recyclers when they give me problems. Then I go talk to Joe and get another old one for $50 that works, XP included.

I think the cheapest I can even get a decent mobo for is about $100, and the open-heart surgery involved is a finicky pain in the neck. Everything needs to line up just perfectly. You're likely to break something else in the process, and making sure the RAM chips are the same type and swappable is a gamble, otherwise youre out a bunch more money.

And yeah, I'd do a fresh install if I did that.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

Do some research to make sure any device chips on the perspective new motherboard (controllers, video, networking, etc) are currently supported by Linux, or that drivers will be included in a new kernel soon. For dealing with potential Secure Boot issues, see the following page:

Making UEFI Secure Boot Work With Open Platforms | The Linux Foundation

I've never had to reinstall after implementing a new motherboard, but have had to wait a few weeks for some components on them to get supported by a new kernel, or have had to install certain drivers manually.
    Last edited by oz; 12-10-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spell
    oz

Here are a couple that will give an idea what to look for, FYI, from newegg --

AMD Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX

Intel Motherboard
    Intel BOXDQ77MK LGA 1155 Intel Q77 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

I second getting used stuff. But would take it one step further by saying go to yard sales, thrift stores and pawn shops. Find something cheap. If you really want to learn how to build a system from the board up go down to the thrift store and get old junk towers. You can get a whole tower for about $5 (usually missing parts). Do lots of research and find parts that will work together. There is a lot to it. I started building systems 20 years ago when there was no Google and the included documentation was a joke. On the very first system I ever built I set the core voltage jumpers wrong and fried the CPU. That was a *very* expensive learning experience. So, if you're really looking to learn then buy some junk at the thrift store and build a frankenputer. Who cares if you burn a CPU that cost you less than $1. If you just want to save money look around craigslist, yard sales, pawn shops and rent to own places (when systems get repo'd they dump them cheap).