Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rokytnji
Hi gurus, what is the best computer related (coding, math, linux, OS, algorithm, graphs, logic, etc.) book for "off-line" reading, I mean situation when you have not access to computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best book for “off-line” (train, bus) reading

Hi gurus, what is the best computer related (coding, math, linux, OS, algorithm, graphs, logic, etc.) book for "off-line" reading, I mean situation when you have not access to computer and you want to learn some theory that you can practice later. I think those kind of book should have some of those features:

1. Some kind of quizzes after each topic
    2. Great visualization and explaination of problem
    3. Logic exercises that you can practice (using pen)
    4. Presenting problem in several point of views
    5. Practical examples
    6. Great theoretic background that you can leverage immediately after grabbing computer

Linux Newbie
    Hello. I can recommend you a few free books from The Linux Documentation Project. I've also come across some cool magazine called "Full circle magazine". I do not have more than 15 posts, so I cannot post their links. First one would be http : / / t l d p (dot) o r g, the second one would be http : / / fullcirclemagazine (dot) org.

Both options above detailed are digital copies only and text does not always meet with the six features requested. If you want a physical book, I would recommend you to head to the nearest bookstore (or at least the one with trusty sellers) and ask for the IT / computers section. When I want no book in particular, I do that and I find what I was searching for most of times.

Thank you. I wish I could help you more.

PS: IMHO, there is no such thing as the "best book" as that would be very subjective.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Boy, there are a tonne of great books for Linux, programming, algorithms, etc. that will make the travel time speed by! Knuth's 3 (now 4) volume set "The Art of Computer Programming" certainly would be at the top of my list.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Check the link in my signature for anything you might like. It is all free.
    ivotkl likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Check the link in my signature for anything you might like. It is all free.
    Great hint Roky! I keep missing that! And an excellent list to boot (sic)...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Nice page, I'm trying to search a programming language that fits me since I'm almost 100% not into programming. That website definitely suits my needs.