Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I have a text file and it appears the text inside is encoded in Ascii. The file is filled with numbers that I have to take from a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dump text file in binary format

Hi All,
    I have a text file and it appears the text inside is encoded in Ascii. The file is filled with numbers that I have to take from a URL, so it just ends up being saved as Ascii.

Would anyone here know how I could dump this text as binary/hex?

The contents of the file will be input into a program that evaluates randomness of data and Ascii skews the results because of the additional data it adds to each character.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Vivek

Linux User
    I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but try
    Code:
    od -h FILE.txt
    "man 1 od" for more help.

Linux User
    ...Ascii skews the results because of the additional data it adds to each character.
    This puzzles me, because ASCII *IS* just hex 01 to 7F. It adds no additional data to characters. Perhaps you mean unicode or UTF-8 instead of ASCII?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    This puzzles me, because ASCII *IS* just hex 01 to 7F. It adds no additional data to characters. Perhaps you mean unicode or UTF-8 instead of ASCII?
    So, I needed the output without any encoding, including ASCII. ASCII encoding does seem to add some bits. In my example, I have a file with one unsigned integer per line. Open the file in a hex editor, I use Okteta. The hex values shown there are not real conversions from integer to hex. The representation in the file is such that humans can read. What I need is a machine level file with all numbers represented in hex with no special characters or new lines. Just a bit stream.

A friend of mine helped me out. This is what did it (perl).

Code:
    while (<ASCII_FILE>){
    	$line=$_;
    	chomp ($line);
    	print $out pack("i*",$line);
    	my $ascii_value=chomp($line);	
    }
    close ($out);