Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Server Ubuntu 12.04 desktop 64bit openssh-server installed Local PC Ubuntu 12.04 desktop 64bit openssh-client installed $ ssh -X satimis@192.168.0.11 $ gnome-session > gnome-session Warning Code: ** (gnome-settings-daemon:24731): WARNING ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

problem on remote access

Hi all,

Server
    Ubuntu 12.04 desktop 64bit
    openssh-server installed

Local PC
    Ubuntu 12.04 desktop 64bit
    openssh-client installed

$ ssh -X satimis@192.168.0.11
    $ gnome-session > gnome-session

Warning
    Code:
    ** (gnome-settings-daemon:24731): WARNING **: You can only run one xsettings manager at a time; exiting

** (gnome-settings-daemon:24731): WARNING **: Unable to start xsettings manager: Could not initialize xsettings manager.
    compiz (core) - Error: Screen 0 on display "localhost:10.0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
    Failed to play sound: Not available

(gnome-settings-daemon:24731): keyboard-plugin-WARNING **: Failed to set the keyboard layouts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.Accounts.Error.PermissionDenied: Not authorized

** (gnome-settings-daemon:24731): WARNING **: Failed to connect context: Connection refused

(gnome-settings-daemon:24731): clipboard-plugin-WARNING **: Clipboard manager is already running.

(gnome-settings-daemon:24731): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to create device: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed: failed to obtain org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-device auth

(gnome-settings-daemon:24731): color-plugin-WARNING **: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed: failed to obtain org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-profile auth

(gnome-settings-daemon:24731): color-plugin-WARNING **: no xrandr-Philips Consumer Electronics Company-Philips 200W-BZ1063822605 device found: Failed to find output xrandr-Philips Consumer Electronics Company-Philips 200W-BZ1063822605

** (gnome-settings-daemon:24731): WARNING **: Failed to connect context: Connection refused
    Connection failure: Connection refused
    pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
    ^C** Message: PID 0 (we are 24763) sent signal 2, shutting down...

(gnome-settings-daemon:24731): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to create device:
     GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed: failed to obtain org.freedeskt
    op.color-manager.create-device auth

(gnome-settings-daemon:24731): color-plugin-WARNING **: GDBus.Error:org.free[0/42]
    top.ColorManager.Failed: failed to obtain org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-p
    rofile auth

(gnome-settings-daemon:24731): color-plugin-WARNING **: no xrandr-Philips Consum
    er Electronics Company-Philips 200W-BZ1063822605 device found: Failed to find ou
    tput xrandr-Philips Consumer Electronics Company-Philips 200W-BZ1063822605

** (gnome-settings-daemon:24731): WARNING **: Failed to connect context: Connect
    ion refused
    Connection failure: Connection refused
    pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
    ^C** Message: PID 0 (we are 24763) sent signal 2, shutting down...

satimis@localhost:~$ ** Message: PID 24763 (we are 24763) sent signal 15, shutti
    ng down...

(nm-applet:24763): libappindicator-WARNING **: Unable to send signal for NewStat
    us: The connection is closed

(nm-applet:24763): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_status_icon_set_visible: assertion `GTK_
    IS_STATUS_ICON (status_icon)' failed
    ^C

$ cat gnome-session
    Code:
    GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-mfg24m
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-mfg24m/ssh
    GNOME_KEYRING_PID=24727
    GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/keyring-mfg24m/gpg:0:1
    Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
    Shutting down nautilus-gdu extension
    g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
    However I can start xterm

Please help.

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Enthusiast
    You're trying to run a full blown gnome-session from another PC?

I just tried ssh into another PC running gnome, rxvt works fine through ssh.

If I type

# X :1 -terminate -once &

it fires up a new X server, blue screen and fugly X cursor, on top of the gnome-session already running on that box. Not much use, and not quite what I was expecting. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace on that PC and she's back to her session. Good. I kinda scared myself there.

# gnome-session

however, get's me a gnome-session on my PC with all my wife's gnome desktop stuff, but my apps and workspaces and stuff. I run Icewm. Her PC is now running pedal-to-the-metal. Kinda weird. I've never tried that before. Anyway, it works for me. Log out and I'm back to my Icewm. That was trippy. And now I've lost all my terminal windows and I have her wallpaper.

I tried ssh -X to the other PC, then gnome-session, and now it won't let me log out properly in the Actions menu. Ctrl-C in my term window under ssh, I can log out, gnome goes away, her PC goes back to idle, but now I'm also stuck with her desktop icons as well as wallpaper, but it didn't kill my term windows this time. Her icons work for me too, and nautilus fires up. I hate nautilus. Gnome is gone, I have my Icewm, but her working desktop. This is even weirder. Ssh will not let me log out either. Kill -15 from another term does it, and her desktop vanishes.

What a strange experiment. Anyway, it (sorta) works for me. I don't know what to say. No errors whatsoever, just bizarre and surreal.

One last comment, though. Both her and I run identical OSes (Mandrake10). That may have some factor in this.