Find the answer to your Linux question:
There is a program I need to run on Machine B that I access through SSH. This program requires files that I store locally on Machine A. Once done with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question on SSH and accessing local files

There is a program I need to run on Machine B that I access through SSH. This program requires files that I store locally on Machine A. Once done with the program, I need to then get the output files from Machine B back to Machine A.

Once I SSH in, I tried doing this through /Volumes on Machine B, but Machine A is not there. Do I need to use SFTP, or is there a quicker way or any other suggestions that you might have? They would all be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome

you can redirect stdin and stdout from/to MachineA.
    But in general, especially if we are talking about more than one input/output file and/or big files,
    then I would suggest copying them first.

Can you be more specific about your usecase?
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    There is a folder on machine A (group use machine), that contains all the framework and files for the program I want to run. I edit the files as necessary on A, but then need to get them to B which has multiprocessor capabilities. It would take forever without those. Once I have the files in place on B, I go into the run directory within that folder, run the program, and it outputs a few files to the output folder which I need. I need to save those output files as well as the original files that I change to run the simulation. I can only post process the output files on B, which has Matlab and VisIt.

For mostly cpu bound workloads, nfs (and optionally autofs) comes to mind.

Export the input and output directories of machine A,
    and (auto)mount them on machine B.
    Machine B now has file access and can start processing.

However, if there is a lot of IO needed, then a local copy might be faster.
    So, I would first look at a typical job via atop, iostat, etc with a local copy of input files on machine B.
    (This is not a complete benchmark, but should provide a basic idea of the expected workload)
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.