Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, pls i need information on how to load AIX on linux RedHat. Or perhaps a simulation of the AIX server, Thanks,...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

AIX on linux

Hi all, pls i need information on how to load AIX on linux RedHat. Or perhaps a simulation of the AIX server, Thanks,

Hi and welcome

I believe you cant.
    AIX runs primarily on non-x86 architectures, so virtualization on the x86 platform is not possible.
    For completeness sake, there was AIX PS/2 (AIX/386) which did run on x86, but this is from 1989.

After a quick search, I also havent found any success stories about running a virtualized AIX on a powerpc machine.

So imho there are two options:
    - migrate the aix applications/databases/tools you need to linux
    - buy AIX supported hardware and run AIX natively
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    AIX runs on PowerPC hardware. As Irithori said, not standard PC hardware (although Linux does run on that gear). It may be that the hardware emulator qemu can simulate a PowerPC system which you can then install AIX on. I don't know for sure because I never had to do that (I used to have an AIX workstation back in the early 1990's). Time for some Google searching I think. In any case, even if you can emulate the hardware, you still need a set of AIX installation media that will work in the emulated environment.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!