Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, I go to a ton of conferences and get presentations with graphs that I would like to extract the data so I can analysis it with other tools. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Extracting data from an image of a graph, is there software?

Hello All, I go to a ton of conferences and get presentations with graphs that I would like to extract the data so I can analysis it with other tools. Generally, this is a slow process and I was thinking of writing a script that would put the image on a canvas, then I could use the mouse to click on the image axis (low and high ranges) for the X and Y limits (type in the scale) and then use the mouse to trace the curves on the graph. When done, just save the scaled "click data" as a CSV file. My question: Am I reinventing the wheel, is there software already out there that does this?

If not, I'm a perl coder, I know I can use TKL to do something like this, but is there a better way?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I have to think someone has done this, but it would be a great self-teaching programming project!

You can do this with matlab: How can I select multiple points using the Data Cursor and export the coordinates to the MATLAB workspace? - MATLAB & Simulink

Wolfram Mathematica can do similar stuff. So far, I haven't found a generic Linux tool to do the same.

Here is a Wikipedia article about the subject: Converting scanned graphs to data - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Navigating a couple of links from that article came up with this: Engauge Digitizer - Digitizing software

Hope this helps somewhat. Just remember, Google is your friend in these sort of situations!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Good info to follow up on

I googled with far less return, likely the way I phrased it... I just don't think like other people I guess.

These were great links. I'm trying the last link now, crossing my fingers that it will do the basic stuff I'm looking for.

Thanks!