Find the answer to your Linux question:
As of this year 2013 does anyone know of online sites selling hi-end desktops or workstations with Linux as the OS. Don't want to pay for Windows when I'm just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Look for Linux on new machine

As of this year 2013 does anyone know of online sites selling hi-end desktops or workstations with Linux as the OS. Don't want to pay for Windows when I'm just going to erase it. It seems to me somewhere in the cyber world (years ago) there was a vender list, but it was somewhat outta date and I don't remember where I saw it. I was also hoping someone had a good experience with a vendor that they would recommend.

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    Might I recommend buying the components from newegg.com or tigerdirect (or similar) and building the tower yourself?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Might I recommend buying the components from newegg.com or tigerdirect (or similar) and building the tower yourself?
    Heh, was gonna suggest the same about building a system. Newgg has off the shelf PCs with/without an OS and, if into tinkering, they also have DIY PC Combos.

These are pretty cool if you can live without a internal dvdrw and are not a tinkerer like I am.

Sugo Station

Just use a external usb dvdrw, install the linux of your choice, and you are off to the races.

For preinstalled Linux laptop. I don't know how long these will be available since Dell got the Micro Soft Loan.

Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition - with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS | Ubuntu
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

Don't know of any completed Linux desktop/workstation vendors, but as an alternative, and if you don't want to spend time with searching out compatible components for a do it yourself from scratch box, you can google "barebone pc kits" to get a good listing of vendors that provide assorted kits you can assemble, then you can add your choice of free Linux distros.

As noted by others above, NewEgg is a very good computer components source. My components nearly always come from there and I've never regretted buying from them.
    oz

Just browsing the newegg website.
    Foxconn R30-H1 Barebone - Newegg.com
    Add video card
    EVGA 01G-P3-N988-TR GeForce 9800 GT HDMI 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com
    Add Hard drive
    Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com
    RAM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104387
    2x4=8GB 54.99
    Grand total $304.00 USD as of 2.24.13 12:04 AM CST.
    Add Linux
    Free
    Of course you need Mouse, KB, Monitor......USB sticks and whatnot. Still though, not a bad price. I just did a quick search using the cheapest prices on the front pages...I'm certain you could get cheaper if you really looked hard.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 02-24-2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Added link for RAM (DUH)
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Engineer
    You list doesn't include a CPU

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    You list doesn't include a CPU
    Is there not one in the box? Like I said it was a quick search and I didn't do a thorough job.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A good source of Linux workstations, servers, laptops, netbooks, etc: ZaReason Linux Laptops, Desktops, Servers and more
    Good prices, good people!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!